First time grinding my own burgers

I had a gal give me an old hand crank grinder a while back, but I have yet to use it.
Are those old things a chore? I'd like to do up about 5lbs worth.
Just time consuming. If the blades aren't sharp, that will delay the process as well. Make sure all the parts (plate, cutter, etc) are tight. I still have mine (but switched to an attachment for my mixer) but as long as the blade is sharp, you're good to go.

"always buy the highest quality food you can afford". that ground beef at Kroger is cheaper than the ground beef at whole foods for a reason....

Good morning Larry, will you please explain your hamburger grinding process when using your food processor. I don't own a KA but I do have a food processor.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
There was an episode of either Cooks Country or ATK that went over using a FP to make burger. I use both methods (FP and my KA Stand mixer with a metal food grinder since I do have one of the very old Hobart grinder attachments). They both work nicely though I do find using the grinder I get a better product going a coarse grind and then a second fine grind. I get a burger that holds better and is a little more "tender". I tend to like chuck for mine also more than anything. But if I have the chance I add brisket and bottom round also. Gets a good flavor balance.
BTW seasoning the beef before grinding or marinating it makes sausage not burger :D
As for using the FP simply cut the meat into pieces (strips, cubes, etc) and put it on a baking sheet and into the freezer until it's quite firm (not frozen). Use the FP to chop to desired consistency in small batches. Form into patties and enjoy

I've only done this a handful of times.......and it may come as no surprise, but ribeye > chuck.

I've also tried freezing vs not freezing & didn't notice a big diff but I'll compare again.

One advantage of the FP is it's a lot faster but the texture of the meat is just a bit different. More "shredded" than "chopped" but still good and easily controlled

anytime.

Let us know your results when you give it a try - mine seemed to lose a lot more liquid / size when I used chuck roast vs ribeye, be sure to try with cheap and ...not so cheap if you have the chance.

Seems hard to mess up, but for the first time I'd do as recommended and "freeze" until it's slightly stiff on the outer edges.

Back