First Time Gas User- Sear Burner Question

Nate C

TVWBB Fan
Just purchased my first gas grill and have the Costco version of the S 335. 3 burners with a sear station.

If I am using the sear burner, do I turn it off after searing is finished yet food is not finished cooking? The sear burner is situated between burner 2 and 3.

Thank you.

I turn it off when I’m done searing, then depending on the thickness of the meat, either finish it off on the regular burners, or for thicker cuts move it to the other side with the burner off and finish it with indirect heat until it comes to temperature. You don’t have to turn it off but if you’re not searing something you’ll be wasting gas and your grill temperature will run very hot.

I always use the #1 burner (counting from left to right) and the sear burner together when cooking burgers, steaks, or chops. I also don't close the lid. That's just the way I use the sear burner, I'm sure there are many others who use it differently. Good luck with your cooking and don't be hesitant to try different cooking methods.

Bill

There are a zillion strategies, I suppose. Mine was to start my steaks on the “regular” side after it was good and hot. Then flip diagonally as I moved them to the sear side which had all burners going the whole time. Then repeat for the other side of the steaks. I almost always grill with the hood closed.

Back