First time Buckboard question

Jeff R

TVWBB Pro
I've got my curing kit and read the buckboard topic. I'm ready with a few questions. It is mentioned to butterfly open so it is not more than 3 1/2" thick.

After coating with the cure, do you fold it back, or doesn't that matter. Just toss in a bag?
When smoking, again, do you fold it back together and tie as one big chuck, or smoke it butterflied

The prep of the boneless tha Costco sells is my area I'm unsure of.

Jeff

There are several different ways that it can be done.
Nothing wrong with curing it and smoking it butterflied.
The rolled BBB that I make, I cure the pieces and then roll them together before smoking.
2dkbqy9.jpg

~Martin

That's some beautiful BBB, Martin. You could call it BBBB.

Jeff -- I've only made buckboard once, the final shape is more like belly bacon sliced when you butterfly it. At least mine was when I crudely deboned it, which meant there wasn't much left to do to get it butterflied.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but here goes. Martin, am I reading this right? That photo is butterflied, then cured, then rolled back up, then tied, then smoked and you cut it in half? So is all that marbling in that photo the fat on one side and then it gets marbled by rolling? Do you have any before photos to help me get my head around this?

Well my curing starts tomorrow. I think I will just get boneless ones from Costco since they will be the most convenient to get to. Well let you know in another 10 days :)

Good luck! I've made it from the boneless ones from Costco and it was good stuff. I just tied them up and cured them - no butterflying - but I was trying to replicate something closer to Irish rashers for an Irish friend who was missing them. They have kind of the same kind of meat/fat/chunky nature as a sliced whole shoulder so it was close enough to really feel "right" to him in a way our bacon doesn't. (rashers are kind of like Canadian bacon in that they have the loin so there's a big chunk of meat but they also have some associated material so there's big chunks of fat in there too - if you search Google images you'll get the idea).

Back