First Time Brisket

BradyB

TVWBB Member
Hi Everyone,

I am doing a brisket for the first time for Christmas. I bought it from Costco, two beef brisket flat cuts. I wanted to know how to cook these, about how long these will take and any suggestions for a good rub. We will be making a gorgonzola cream sauce to go with the brisket for anyone that wants it. I usually do a Santa Maria Type rub and was thinking of using that as the base, but adding paprika and some other spices (I can't make it too spicy of a rub, not everyone likes that). I took a picture on the link below.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1107...s/5824821827836647873?authkey=CPSY84qJ_6PWrwE

Can't see from the pics what thickness and weight the flats are. They look to be rather trimmed, or perhaps overtrimmed.

Time depends on the above - and, importantly, cook temp.

For flats, irrespective of the above, I would suggest foiling when they hit 160 internal, then cook to tender in the foil.

As for procedure, see the Cooking Topics page for ideas.

One thought..... consider just rubbing with Kosher salt and coarse group pepper, maybe a 2:1 ratio....then do as Kevin suggests. Serve with one, or both, of the following (they come from Chris' beef tenderloin recipe http://virtualweberbullet.com/beeftenderloin1.html ).

Sour Cream Horseradish Sauce
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 cup sour cream
2 Tablespoons prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
Whisk together all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Gorgonzola Cream Sauce
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 cups heavy cream
3-4 ounces crumbly Gorgonzola cheese (not creamy or "dolce")
3 Tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 Tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a saucepan over medium-high heat, bring cream to a full boil. Boil rapidly 45-50 minutes until thickened like a white sauce, stirring occasionally. Remove saucepan from heat, add all ingredients. Whisk rapidly until cheeses melt.

To reheat, warm the sauce over low heat until melted, then whisk rapidly until sauce comes together.

Thanks for those two recipes. They look good. I read the cooking topic on brisket. I also took another look this morning and they are both about 1.5-2 inches thick and both around 5 lbs each. I was thinking of trying the high heat method as that would take less time. Since my briskets are so much smaller though, I am not sure how to go about smoking them.

Back