First time brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duncan,
Something is wrong, <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Well.... I am sitting at 6 hours for a 4.25 pound brisket and the internal temp is only at 140*. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> You should be about done. Even if you were to figure 2hrs lb, you should be at a higher temp than 140*. Stick a fork in the brisket and give it a twist, you will know right away if it is done. If you have to force the fork in it isn't done. If it slides in fairly easily and you can twist easily it in the meat you are probably done.

Also calibrate your thermometers when you are done. Either your pit thermo or your meat thermo is inaccurate.

Duncan,

Are you sure your thermometer's calibrated properly? Do you have another one you can check the brisket with?

Larry's right. You should be done by now.

Thanks folks....

I may go out and get an instant read at the store on Monday. My digital meat therm should be good - it seems accurate when I grill. My WSM therm is in the dome in one of the vent holes with a cork - it's a replacement for a Silver B.

Although the brisket was "done" it was not as tender as I would have liked.

I will take the therm out of my Silver B and see if I get the same readings the next time I smoke (or vice versa with a grill).

Thanks for the help.

Duncan,

In case you didn't already know you can calibrate them by putting them in boiling water. I'm still trying to get a tedner grisket myself.

Some of the guys on the site suggested I foil it at about 160 and add what I would call a braising liquid.

Just remember to have fun!

ROB O

Thanks for the advice on the boiling H2O - I never put 2 and 2 together and figured out what that TEST line meant on the therm. Should have been obvious I guess.

In any event, my Weber replacement therm is fine, my digital is bad (unless water sometimes boils at 181* F).

Oh well... I will get an inexpensive instant read for the short term and ask Santa for a new digital for the longer term.

Anyone have a good name/brand/model?

Duncan,
I just finished a similar size brisket (4.75 lbs). I put it on at 7:30 this morning. At 3:00 it finally hit 165* at which point I double foiled it with a cup of beef broth and put it back on the WSM . At 6:30 it hit 190*, i pulled it off, wraped it in dishtowels and stuck it in the cooler. Finished watching the Jet game (4 - 0) and cooked my veggies and potatoes and ate dinner at 7:30. The brisket was moist and tender. Had enough left over for another meal.I also only cook at 210 - 220 degrees tops!Can't be in a rush for this stuff, it likes to take its sweet time!
icon_smile.gif

Nick P.

Sounds like I didn't wait enough (we ate as the Jets kicked the winning FG....). I started at 10:30 and foiled it at 5:30, let it sit for an hour in the foil (I put it in the oven with no heat to help it keep the temp). I took it out and let it sit for 30 mins or so before slicing.

I cooked a bit higher than you (225-235 for most of the time).

Try, try, again I guess!

As the master Jim Minion has told me and others, with brisket, let it sit for at least 2hrs...4hrs is ideal!! The 4hr wait, while tuff, is soooooooo worth it!! The meat reabsorbs the jusices making it soooo tender!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back