First Smoked Cheese of the Season

Well this is brand new to me. I've heard whispers here and there about cold smoking cheese but have never seen it done.

Thanks Don. Learn something new at this site everyday!

Mike,

Seeing that you're in Louisiana, this thread might be some help to you as well. I experimented with cold-smoking cheese when the ambient temps were in the 70s last June. Cheese has to stay under 100 degrees and this method worked.

I decided to bump this one to the top. We have lots of new members and this is a really good thread for those who would like to try their hand at smoking some cheese! I'm hoping to do some more soon myself!

Hey all! I've been reading posts, looking at pictures, and using recipes from here for months. But this is my first time posting. First of all, I'd like to say this board is great, thanks to everyone for posting, you're all very helpful!
Second of all, This looks very interesting and I want to give it a shot, Am I able to do this without the bricks in the kettle grill? Put 2 unlit briquettes with one lit briquette and smoke wood on top on one side of the kettle and the bowl of ice and cheese on the opposite side? or Do the bricks help deflect the heat away from the cheese, so it'd get too hot without the bricks?

Thanks for any input guys!

Happy Holidays!

Last edited:
Dustin,

Bricks help a lot for the reasons you mention, especially if you use a kettle. In a WSM during Winter you don't have as much to worry about. Use a water pan (see my post above if it's a warm day) and keep the temp under 100.

And welcome to the forum!

I decided to bump this one to the top. We have lots of new members and this is a really good thread for those who would like to try their hand at smoking some cheese! I'm hoping to do some more soon myself!

I'm glad you bump this one. I'm one of the new guys here. I'm will try this soon.

Pretty cool Don. I look at Chris's way on the "how to's". I didn't think I'd set up to cold smoke. Learn something every time I come on here. Thanks for posting and sharing.

Back