first smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

What meat would be a great first smoke. Having family over and really want to put agreat piece of meat on the table. thanks for feedback.

For a first smoke I would suggest pork butt and chicken. They are both very forgiving and remember even if it turns out NOT up to your expectations, it just may possibly be the best "Q" your family has ever tasted. Leaving lots of room for improvement. good luck and let us know what and how things turn out.

I agreed with Jim that butts and chicken are safe. Kind of depends on event. If family are coming over for a new years dinner kind of thing you might want to do a roast. We did five of them over last weekend and they are easy. Need a polder to determine internal temp on the bone in roast. Rub the roast with some olive oil, use coarse salt a little heavy, some pepper and I hit it heavy with montreal steak seasoning. Line your pan with foil, no water or sand. Fill up the charcoal ring about 75% and get the top coals all going. Load the middle section and run this guy wide open. Depending on outside temp you will hit around 320. With a new WSM you might go higher, great! Pull this three or four bone roast when the internal hits 117 degrees. Cover with foil and wait twenty minutes until you carve it. You will get many at a boys!!!

Oh, you meant to say "beef rib roast". Was momentarily confused-- you started out talking pork butt.

I had my first smoke in October of this year. I will agree that the pork butt is the perfect choice for the first cook. I WOULD use the water pan though. Sand or water, either is ok. Be sure to use a probe therm to monitor internal meat temps. Minion method works greatfor firing up! Dont be tempted to put too many hot coals on the unlit ones. I did this once and my fire got away from me. Follow the prescribed amount and all will be "Good Eats"!!!

Good luck and keep us posted! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thank you all. I went and bought two pork butts about total of 14 pounds. How long will it take to smoke. I am very nervous. I am following the recipe in smke and spice for mr brown. If they are both 7 pounds it should take about 10 hrs right. Or am I totally off

Kevin,

Relax.

What you want to think is that you expect it to take about an hour and a half for each pound of meat PLUS 30 to 60 minutes to rest plus time to pull and get on the plate.

If the temp runs hot (as it sometimes does with new smokers) it may be done sooner. (In this case let her go to a bit higher internal temp, let it rest a bit longer, keep warm foiled, wrapped with towels in a cooler). If it just ain't ready when you have to pull it, foil and finish in the oven. See, two ways to handle almost anything that can go wrong.

No matter what, plan for the resting time.

so if I am doing both butts. It should be about 12 hours. And thanks for the reply

Kevin,

Rookie mistake #1 is using time as a rule rather than a guide. It's done when the internal temp is where you want it and the probe of the instant read thermometer slides in without resistance. For Pork Shoulder 180-185f for slicing 190f to 200f for pulling with 195 being ideal. With a Butt there are different muscles and some will get done quicker than others.

Do em both on the top grate. use the Minion Method You can't go wrong. Temp might go up a tad at around 2 hr mark, just back it down by adjusting the bottom vents. Keep the top vent open. If u r done early, Mr. 2 hoss had a great suggestion with the towels and foil. This to me seems to enhance the flavor by "resting" in foil covered with a towel in an igloo for a couple of hours. It's gonna be great!

Thanks everyone it is 630 am texas time and I am starting it up right now. Ill let everyone know how it goes

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KEVIN:
[qb] Thanks everyone it is 630 am texas time and I am starting it up right now. Ill let everyone know how it goes [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Mornin'Kevin. They gonna be good I promise. Ya shoulda' cooked them yesterday! My daughter came thru Ft.Worth yesterday on her way back to Alabama. She marched in the Sun Bowl halftme in El Paso. Ya could have sent me one to taste.lol... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jim

I put both butts on top to get them going. I am having trouble getting the temp back up is this normal. I cant wait till they have that nice brown crusty cover. Wish me luck.

well everyone it is going now. Thanks to y'all. I was having trouble with the temp. I had the water pan resting on the coals. I started with too many coals in the ring. I am cooking them both ion the top rack so I just moved the water pan too the second grate. well see how it goes. First smoke learning alot. Thanks too this website I should end up with some good Q.

The water pan should be supported just a fraction under the lower grate by the lower part of the same bracket that holds the lower grate. The charcoal sould be about as high as the fire ring. There are great pictures on the rest of this great website. Having it on the loewer rack will work fine this time /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Good Luck,

thanks again. I know you should always stay away from foil. My butt has been going for a while and I am probably going to have to wrap it to get it done in time. I know time should not be my determining factor. Ive learned for the next time though. Thanks again /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back