First smoke with lump in my WSM

Hank B

TVWBB Pro
I tried it yesterday using Royal Oak - one of the few 'made in USA' products I've seen at Walmart. I found it lit easily and temperature climbed quickly at first. I was soon down to one of three bottom vents about half open. After a couple hours temps moderated and I found I had to open up a bit more to maintain temps. At about 6 hours I found that I had to start adding lump as most of the original charge had burned away. I'm wondering if I burned up too much of it early on (trying to regulate temperature) or if this is typical of lump. (I eventually kept the smoke up for about 10 hours and the chunks of pork which I use for pulled pork cane out great as they usually do.
icon_biggrin.gif
)

Anyway, I thought I'd see what others' experience with lump is like and if you have any tips for working with lump.

best,
walt

I ussually catch my temp on the way up, seams to keep more charcoal around for longer burns! thats key and my royal oak ussually last about 6-9 hours so your right in range, lower end but still good. Starting off with larger chunks on the very bottom catches alot of the littler chunks, give it a good kick seams to settle it down more in between pours hence a more dense pack burns longer. Hope this helps. Glad your pulled pork came out great!

Do you have the "dual charcoal grates" mod?

I find that this helps with lump - keeps the small stuff from falling-through the bottom.

Also, for long smokes, it works better if you REALLY "pack" the charcoal ring - I have the lump & smoke wood level with the top / sometimes a few larger pieces stuck in around the edges to act as a "fence" for when I dump the lit on top. I find that this method usually works pretty well. (Also, at 4-6 hours, I give the coals a "stir" to knock any ash out of the bottom - improves air-flow.)

Walter, For the past year I have used Lazzari, mesquite lump exclusively. I like to cut mine with a hatchet to make them a bit more uniform in size. Lazzari puts some woppers in the bag. I also use the double crossed coal grate. For low heat I fill ring and get about 8 hrs or so and then add a bit more just to be on the safe side. HH, I get 5-6 hrs without adding. In both cases I have enough left the next day to fire a chimney. I don't pack particularly tight, as the irregular shapes make that kinda hard to do and time consuming, don't want my beer to get warm because I'm loading my coal ring!

Thanks guys for the tips. I'll try to pack it a little tighter next time. I haven't done any grate mods but I do have some expanded metal I could use for that.

best,
walt

PS: Good beer holds its flavor even as it warms a bit. Not warm, mind you, but you can't really taste ice cold liquids.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WalterWhite:

PS: Good beer holds its flavor even as it warms a bit. Not warm, mind you, but you can't really taste ice cold liquids.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why that's just crazy!
icon_eek.gif
" let my beer be not ice cold?" Why I never, well maybe occasionally as I get older.....

Good luck on your cooks, and on the beer, good, that is.

Mark

The "trouble" (if you want to call it that) with lump is that the density per cubic inch is much less than briq's.

I exclusively use lump and I'm mostly using Royal Oak these days. I'm a clay saucer user and I use the double grates. Even prior I was easily able get 12+ hrs (at 250F) on a single load.

The key, as has been said, is to properly pack the ring. I typically use some large pieces at the bottom and then I full the middle with smaller pieces and chips. Also don't be afraid to mound it up a bit. Lump produces much less ash so you don't have to worry too much about it choking out your fire.

I'm trying my first lump smoke today, too. Sadly, it's Cowboy Brand from Lowes, but that's all I was able to find on short notice. Next time I'll plan better and grab some Royal Oak. I'm doing two racks of St. Louis ribs, seasoned with Head Country rub. Wish me luck! I'll post pictures.

OK, started the lump using K-blue and the Minion Mehthod. Used cold water in the pan; temperature is now around 220. Just waiting for it to come up a bit. All vents wide open.

Holding steady at about 230-240 (assuming my after-market thermometer is correct) with vents about 1/2 way open. Hope the coals last 4-5 hours.

Back