First smoke with 22.5"

I woke up at 3am today to do my first ever smoke on my new 22.5. The cooker has held steady temps. in the 225-250 range (currently 245).

The 6.5lb butt has been on for 1.75 hours and is already at 113 degrees. Is the butt moving too quickly?

I guess it was @ room temp when you put it on the smoker.

Temp can rise abit fast @ the start,but wait untill you hit the stall. Then you will be scared it wont be done in time
icon_smile.gif

Your probe is in the middle of the butt?

The butt was not at room temperature...probably out of the fridge 20-30 min. before putting it on. Update....4 hours into the cook and she's kind of stalled at about the 150 degree mark. I have the Maverick e-732 in the middle of the butt. I'm a little concerned about positioning too close to the bone.

Brand new smoker and I am impressed at how she is holding temperatures. All the bottom vents are closed and it is holding very steady in the 230-240 degree mark.

My new toy might interfere with my marriage!

Steve congrats on your first smoke. Post some pics of the cook when you're done!

I'm a little late to this since you already hit your stall point but you'll normally see temp rise like that and then slow down. It will probably slow down to a point that you'll be like come one already lol.

Wait till you have the "gunk" build up in there too. The WSM will really hold temps then!

Back