First Smoke Today ... BB Ribs

I can't post much right now, but ...

The ribs were "okay" (my assessment) ... the smoke was too heavy for my taste and that hammy taste was present.

Yes ... they were enhanced ribs ... I won't be using them again ... does that contribute to the hammy taste?

All in all, I think it was okay ... I learned some ... still at a loss, however, on how to control temps. I'll do a post-mortem of my log and see what I can find.

Right now, I've got ever single vent closed and that sucker is still hot. I think I'll go see if there's a plug to unplug ...

Thanks for the help everyone!

Yup. Go without the "enhancement" from now on.
icon_smile.gif

I couldn't even tell you if the ribs I cook are enhanced or not. Whatever they are, they come out great. I thought the "hammy" flavor came from the rub if you used to much? The rub starts to cure the ribs? I have never had the Hammy taste as of yet.
I have a picnic I just put on and I can't even tell you if that is enhanced. Probably is though. Has anyone ever done a side by side and be able to tell the difference?
Dennis, I used to have problems keeping the temps down. I found my door was leaving to much air in. Shine a flashlight inside the smoker from the outside around the door next time you have it broke down, look at the inside and see how much light comes in. Have fun!

Bob,

I'm definitely going to check the seals. There must be air getting in there some how.

I've only used enhanced ribs when I've done them on my kettle. This time, anticipating the enhanced effects, I was light on the rub. The final product wasn't salty, but it was definitely hammy. Not a taste I've encountered before ... and, like I said, I've only used enhanced ribs.

I'm a little disappointed with today's cook. I realize that it takes practice to get the technique down, but I cooked ribs on my kettle a couple of weeks ago that were much better (in my eyes) to what I produced today. (Sigh)

Dennis -- Don't worry. My first smoke was not real good; I suffered from the same temperature problems that you did. I think that a lot of us go through the same initial learning curve even though we tried to do our homework before hand. There is nothing like experience to "learn" us!

I have been working with ribs on the Genesis 2000 gasser for years and never gotten what I considered to be a "good" (my definition) result until the second time that I tried them on the WSM (after a lot of practice on butts.) Low and slow really works. It will get better. Have fun on your next cook.

AFAIK, I have not used enhanced ribs.

I have done enhanced ribs and fresh. To me fresh is like "prime" and enhanced is "select".

Dennis, I dont close the top vent ever during my cooks. I believe that can cause a stale bitter smoke taste. I have to close my bottom vents almost to an 1/8 inch open to control temps.25%, all bottom vents open, my wsm gets hot.
DP

It's not so much the rub quantity as allowing the ribs to sit too long with rub on them that might give them a hammy taste. Many people fault enhanced ribs for their hammy taste, though I've never used them.

My WSM's door is fairly tight at the sides and bottom (I have mine upside down with the knob at the bottom), but the top two corners have definite 'holes'that would obviously allow air in. I don't know if this is not a problem for me because those holes are on top--farther from the coals--or what. I've always had the door like that.

I've gotta agree with Kevin. I would suspect that hammy taste occurs when the ribs sit with the rub too long before cooking. Personally, I rub my ribs about an hour before smoking. In fact, I usually rub the ribs and then go out, setup my WSM firing up the charcoal Minion style. Once the WSM is ready for loading, I put the ribs in and don't open the lid (or side door) for at least a couple hours.

Also, I find I prefer pecan and cherry combo for doing ribs. Hickory is just too strong I think for ribs (I know that's a personal thing).

I have to admit, I am tempted (sometime) to try doing some ribs on the rotisserie the way Susan Z has posted. Hmmm, maybe next weekend!

The ribs were rubbed 3 hours before being put on the WSM.

I think hickory is just too strong for my taste. Next time, I'll use much less or another wood entirely.

I've had good luck with mesquite ... I know many say that mesquite is strong, but I find it more appealing than hickory.

I have left my ribs in rub overnight and have not had a hammy taste. I use a britu rub but I only use 1/2 the salt it calls for. Always fresh ribs, never used enhanced. As far as woods I use one fist sized chunk of hickory and a chunk of apple or cherry. If the ribs are just for me I will use the apple and cherry because i like the heavier smoke flavor, no smoke ring just red ribs....mmmmmm

Ya know guys using enhanced Pork verses non-enahanced pork is like night and day to me. My last Q was on New Year's Eve. It's been to long but my new job is quite demanding....seven days a week
icon_frown.gif
anyway.....I did a fresh butt. Fresh is just so much better, I will NEVER use enhance pork for Qing' again. Now doing chops at a high heat well.....maybe. And I have yet to find poultry that isn't enhanced...any ideas anyone??

Big Al

AL --

The way that I read the labels, some of the poultry is "minimally" enhanced and some is a "more than minimally" enhanced. The birds (chickens and turkeys) were either fresh or "minimally" enhanced. Using various brines, within the recommended times, I have not had any over-salty problems.

I buy free-range chicken locally. They have a much better flavor than mass-produced, grain and anti-biotic-fed chicken--imo--but they're more than twice the price. I think they're worth it.

When I cook around the country I rely on Bell and Evans store locator to find where to buy their chickens; most often it's a Whole Foods Market. I think they're the best of the nationally available brands.

Originally posted by Vernon N:
AL --

The way that I read the labels, some of the poultry is "minimally" enhanced and some is a "more than minimally" enhanced. The birds (chickens and turkeys) were either fresh or "minimally" enhanced. Using various brines, within the recommended times, I have not had any over-salty problems.

See that's another thing guys...I have been debating on whether or not I should brine self basting turkey, my buddy and cook partner who is a great cook says it's ok. Hmmm....

Big Al

Back