First smoke Sat...

Jason Robinson

This will be my first smoke on my brand new wsm but have plenty of smokes under my belt w/ the CG. I have a couple questions so here goes..
I am doing a whole shoulder 16lbs. and 2 butts 8.5 and 9.3lbs. Which meat should go on the top grate and which on btm? Should I use the minion method this will be an overnighter and I would like to sleep 5 or 6 hrs..Any thought??? Thanks

Hey Jason, its good to see another Kentuckian on board.

I always put the bigger piece on the top rack. Also I have been cooking at higher temps "275-300" at the lid vent when cooking pork. You can get 5-6 hours of sleep easy going with the Minion Method. I probably do the MM a bit different than most. I fill the charcoal ring FULL, then dump 3/4 chimney of lit on top of mound, 15 minutes later I place the meat in the smoker and that is it. Bed time!

What part of Ken Tuck are you from?

Jason, I just looked at your profile and thats scary. You sound just like me. Golf, football, poker and bbq. You cant get any better unless you are a Card fan! lol

I live about 10 min from Bowling Green how bout you..I will be able to watch the cook for the first 6 or so hrs before bedtime. If you live close by I have probably played cards with you...ha. One last thing screw big blue(cats)!!

Back