First Smoke on WSM

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Got my Stoker on Wed. and the WSM came in Thurs. afternoon. Had everything ready to go, took about an hour to put it together including the Stoker. Since I had my butt all rubbed and ready to go the night before, I fired it up.

Took about 15 mins for the charcoal to get started, put it in using the Minion Method. I used about 5 palm sized pieces of Hickory. Dry water pan lined in foil and top vent at 100%. Temp shot up to about 265 and held steady so in went the butt. Set my Stoker to 228 and meat temp target to 192.

The butt went in right at 3pm, didnt need to but I checked temp multiple times and was always between 228 and 237, once or twice it spiked to 250. Flipped the butt at 11pm (started fat side down) and didnt check it again until 3am. Temp in pit was exactly 228 and internal meat temp was 171.

Checked again at 6am and pit @ 229 and meat @181. Went back to sleep until 8:30 and pit temp holding @ 228 and internal meat @ 187. It's been in for 17 1/2 hours so wrapped her in double foil and a towel and into a small cooler until 11:30 am. Just in time for LUNCH!!! Bone pulled out completely with a small tug and pork pulled like butter.

Here is some FOOD ****.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kirkhering/album?.dir=/83...tok=phV9FHFB2YbleBWz

I do have a couple of questions for the experts. Inside was absolutely moist and delicious, but the smoke ring and a very small way in was somewhat dry. My very first butt was cooked in the Alton Brown clay pot smoker and I brined it overnight. That butt was just as good and the smoke ring area was moist as well. Is this an advantage of brining or did this butt just take a long time to cook and dryed exterior a bit. I'm on Atkins so I did not spray with apple juice during the cook nor did I brine this butt.

Also, the door to the smoker has some obvious gaps, tried the listed methods for contouring it but interior still appears exposed. Is the middle section supposed to fit tightly into the bottom or is there supposed to be play, mine is very loose, however it obviously didnt affect the temps as they held very steady.

Thanks for all the info, this BB rocks!

The meat looks great! And obviously the Stoker worked well for you. I have two butts thawing, which will be my first long smoke with the Stoker (I did some chickens last weekend, but a 3 hour cook is hardly a real test). I hope they turn out as well as yours did.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back