First smoke on the WSM 22.5

Dennis C

TVWBB Fan
Did my first smoke and I thought it came out wonderful. I made a few mistakes but the ribs were great.

I had two racks of St. Louis ribs, and two half racks (I had frozen) of ribs.

I used Big Rons Hint of Houston rub (My favorite rub) and Kingsford competition coals, and Fruita Apple and hickory wood chunks. (3 Chunks apple and 1 hickory)

I started to use Roxy's Glaze (From the thesmokering) but messed up the ingredients so I only put one or two glazes on.

I didn't use my ET-732 for the first smoke but will for the future.

Did the minion method for the ribs. Put the ribs on at 1:45. The Temp on the smoker was hovering around 230 and 240ish. The ribs cooked until about 6:30 Removed them and wrapped them for about 20 minutes.

I put the glaze on early thinking the ribs were just about done and ended up cooking for another 2 hours.

The only thing that matters in the end is the ribs had great flavor and were not overly smokey. My electric in the past had way to strong of a smoke flavor from the wood chips.

The temp held nice. After removing the ribs I opened the vents on the smoker and hoped to burn off the coals fast. The Temp rose to over 325 degrees for 2 hours. The temp at 9pm was still over 200 degrees so I could have gotten hours more out of the coals. I love it.

I didn't spray anything on the ribs during the cook because for my first cook I just didn't want to open the lid at all.

IMG_0407.jpg

Back