First smoke now!

Andrew Marr

TVWBB Member
Just got back home with 4 racks of baby backs, my spices and a buttload of nervous feelings in my gut. Not only will tomorrow be my first attempt to smoke, but I went and invited some friends over..no pressure right?
My WSM is assembled. It went well but I had a hard time putting those legs on, but that might be my ADD kicking in. The heat shield seems kinda thin so I'm thinking that using this puppy on my wood deck is a no-no right?

I'll have a look around for instructions on lightinga nd getting her started up. I have the Weber chimney, never used charcoal before so I hope I don't mess things up. Not too sure how much charcoal to use either. Should I cook on the upper or lower grates? I also only have wood chips, should I foil them and put on charcoal? I'll probably have to change it often during the few hours?
I'm sure you all had a mix of excitment and nervous feelings on your first try..a few beers once things have started should calm me down!

* I'll be using the BRITU process. If I want to serve my ribs at 6, should I start the whole process around noon? Getting the WSM ready, chimney, getting temps up? 4 hours to cook and 2 to get things up and running? This is a brand new WSM so I'm wondering if it might need extra time to get going? I don't want my ribs to be done too early either. Thety should be served right away correct? And what if they finish too early, how can I keep them properly?

THANKS!

the head shield might be thin but its fine. it doesnt need to be thick to deflect heat. i use it on my cedar deck without any problems.

for instructions on how to set up the charcoal check out this page http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html#minion

if you only need to use one cooking grate then use the top. if you have enough food to use two grates then.. well... use both.

the burn time of your charcoal would depend on how much charcoal you put in the cooker and the brand.

The most important thing to remember is to have fun. This ain't rocket science and you can cook up great Q any number of ways. I think your plan to start at noon for a 6:00 dinner seems solid. If they get done earlier, double wrap them in HD aluminum foil and keep them in a cooler wrapped in a towel or place them in a 160* oven. If they aren't getting done fast enough, wrap them in HD foil with some apple juice and put them back on the smoker. Foiling will speed up the cooking process.

Follow Chris's cooking log for the BRITU process and you'll do just fine. Did I mention to have fun?

Welcome and enjoy your first cook. I would fill the coal ring, well almost fill, with cold and add about 8-10 coals hot on top. You can reuse the coals so don't worry about using too many. Your new WSM ay run a little hotter the 1st couple cooks so adjust your vents accordingly. Mine are almost closed and the heat is good. My last rib smoke was 3/2/1 but actually closer to 3:1 1/2: 1/2. Today I am using Slap your Daddy's method, 2: 1 1/2: 10-15min final. Ribs are pretty happy to be smoked and they will turn out great. Cook till tooth pick slides in and meat moves a bit off bone end. If done early hold in foil till almost ready to eat then put on grill rack just before service. The fans will love it. Gotta go foil!!!!

Mark

hey thanks guys for your advice. I bought myself a mat to put under it today. Made for BBQ'S. Getting close to firing it up. One thing, I'm using chips, should I make a few aluminum foil packs to put on or should I just throw a couple of handfuls right on the coals?

Andrew, foil packs sound good to me,but I stopped using chips a while ago in favor of chunks. Don't forget the camera, main ingredient cause we all love pics of your success.

Mark

we're off and running! Charcoal was super easy to light. 10 minutes and the first ''dump'' into the WSM was done. Then added same amount of unlit coals and my foil pack with apple wood. Waited for it to catch fire just a bit then went ahead and assembled the rest of the smoker with cold water added to the pan. She shot up to 300 now after 30 minutes is close to 240. Ribs are waiting on the counter with the rub dusted on. 3 hours on at 225 then turn and boost up to 250 for 1 hour..sounds right?

About an hour in to the smoke and my temp is at 255. Target is 225 for 3 hours. All bottom lids or closed and top vent is now at 50%. re filled pan with cold water. Still not moving. The WSM is in direct sunshine so I'm sure that's not helping.

Andrew, your temps may vary depending of the thermometer placement. If you are using the supplied Weber hood thermo then the temp at the grate maybe a little lower. Bottom line is the ribs don't care and will be good. Cooking time may be a little shorter but time is a guestamate, you cook till it's done!
icon_wink.gif

I figured I would take off 10f from my hood thermo. For 3 hours I was from 230 to 255 and then was not able to get the temp up past 260 for the ladt hour. My ribs turned out quite good but I think they may have been on a bit too long. They were probably just iunder 1 1/2 pounds each and I was following the BRITU process that was for ribs just under 2 pounds. The actual meat was very tender and delicious but the top part of the ribs were a bit too crunchy and hard. I figure the ribs were on too long.

Back