First smoke, new WSM 18" - St. Louis Ribs

Jason Pullara

Really simple. I've been smoking on a gas grill my whole life so temperature control has always been a fight downwards. The WSM was absolutely amazing to use. I lit it using the minion method (which I had no idea was called the minion method until today, that's just how I've always lit charcoal). Temperatures were easy to keep right around 250. I chose not to use water - I don't like a humid environment when I'm smoking - and went with lava rocks in the water bowl instead. I find that they really help keep up a high temperature (> 212) and help the smoker recover a lot faster from opening up the lid.

I made a custom rub consisting of: salt, pepper, paprika, powdered ginger, powdered garlic powder, powdered allspice, brown sugar, and fennel seeds. I didn't do anything fancy to the ribs, besides letting them sit for an hour with the rub on them.

I smoked the ribs at around 250 for 4 hours using cherry wood chips (well soaked for about 2 hours). I would have used cherry wood chunks but the local place I found that actually sells wood chunks out here was closed because they were at a BBQ competition. I never turned the ribs over, bone down.

First, I lit my briquettes in a chimney on a gas grill.

ribs-chimney.jpg

Here are the ribs, prepped with my spice rub.

ribs-prepped.jpg

Sittin' inside the WSM 18".

ribs-smoker.jpg

At first I was questioning myself for spending $300 on another cooking surface. Then this:

ribs-finished.jpg

And the inside:

ribs-inside.jpg

This was an experiment for Christmas dinner. Our father passed away this year and he usually did all of the family cooking. I can cook too, and plan on taking up his stead. Considering that we were basically having an orgasm eating these ribs, I would say that this was a VERY successful experiment.

Most importantly: I am no longer questioning spending $300 on a smoker. Worth every penny. Next smoke? Maybe chicken. Maybe pork shoulder. I'm undecided; however, I do know that the major protein this holiday season will be smoked. Oh yes.

Nice looking ribs. It only gets better from here on out...the more you use it the more the $300 will turn into.....why didn't I do this sooner!:wsm:

Those look great, Jason. I'm guessing that will be the hit of Christmas dinner! Your Dad would be very proud.

Welcome to the club!! And what a great looking first post! Weber smokers and kettles are just amazing--you will love all the things you can do.

Welcome Jason....those are some tender looking ribs.I stop using water in the pan a couple years ago and never looked back.Can't tell any difference in the finished product and the clean up is so easy.

Welcome to the forum Jason. Nice looking ribs. Sorry to hear about your dad's passing. I lost my dad a few years ago. He enjoyed barbecue as well, so now when I smoke something on the WSM, I am reminded of fond memories of dad.
Cheers.

Jason, I felt the same way you did about spending the dough for a WSM -- but I kept hearing the same thing: "Trust me. You won't regret it. Just do it." After my first cook I realized the WSM is worth every penny and I wish I had started years ago.

Congratulations on those ribs. I love your rub recipe and your lava rock idea. Might have to give that a try.

Back