First smoke last weekend. Some questions now.

Hi All,

New to the "smoking family" (18 WSM) and really just starting to learn and understand the basics. I purchased Gary Wiviotts "Low & Slow", figuring it would be a good starting point. The books "insists" that you start with chicken (whole chickens split in halves) before moving on to BB ribs. So like a good student I started with chicken and the suggested rub. Here's where the question/confusion comes in. The book recommends cooking temps between 250-275. Fair enough, not too much different from what is suggested in this great forum. However, when following the cooking instructions, it clearly states "Top/Bottom Vents: Open". In fact skipping forward and reading other cook recipes, he always suggests leaving all vents wide open, at least initially when it comes to meats. My issue is that when I followed these instructions after assembling the lump charcoal, filling the water pan and applying the chicken, the temp sky rocketed to near 400 almost immediately. Took me a while to bring the temp back down (adjusting the bottom vents) and finally stabling the temp near 250. The lump charocal seemed to burn away way to quickly, as well. Why would the book suggest to keep all the bottom vents open if the heat is going to sky rocket like that? Luckily I used a meat thermometer and was able to at least consistently gauge the (chicken) temp until done (about 1 hr 45 mins). The chicken actually came out pretty good, but just a whirlwind getting there.

The book is also adamant about using lump charcoal vs briquettes, mainly due to the additives in the briquettes. I'm guessing the book was written just prior to the release of Kingfords competition briquettes, which I understand are all natural also? How do you guys view lump vs the aforementioned briquettes? When I finally reach the point of "longer" smokes, which fuel allows for the longest cook times before re-fueling is needed?

Sorry for the long post, guys/gals. Just need to better understand what the heck I'm doing. I plan on practicing on 3 racks of BB's this afternoon and skipping the books suggesting of brined chicken next. I'm determined to get some delicious BB's going for the superbowl for a small crowd
icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Throw the book out. Buy a Guru and overnite it so you can do the Ribs! Start with this site's recipe for BRITU, and don't look back. JMO

Just a guess, but you may have taken too long assembling your cooker and getting your water pan filled, then getting your chicken on and then finally getting the lid on. That'll really get it hot quick. Plus it depends on how many hot coals you started with.

If find if I jostle the lump around and get it good and packed in the ring I can get the same amount of burn time as briquettes. Either work fine. Briquettes have more ash.

Start with less hot coals, vents open. Then ease the bottom vents closed as you approach your desired temp. You'll get it dialed in.

Richard, I'm a noob to the WSM myself, but I've been smoking for quite some time. I almost always use briquettes. I've given lump a go a couple of times, but find the temps too hard to stabilize find they just don't last like briquettes. That's just my experience - just why I don't like using them. I'm sure, given enough time I would learn to use them just as well as the big K. But I already have great results with K, I don't have any issues with the flavor, why change?

There are plenty of folks here who use nothing but lump and they can speak to it far better than I, but I'm pretty sure the first issue was the fact that you had the vents open full. I don't understand why the author would have you do that. Doesn't make sense to me. You've gotta adjust those things to dial in your temps (as you experienced).

Pretty sure briquettes give you a longer cook than lump, but again, that's my experience I'm sure some other guys here can speak more intelligently about it than I.

Hey Richard... Don't panic! Don't throw the book out! Don't buy a Guru yet! I been "live fire" cooking for over 50 years and you will first have to learn the basics of fire and fuel management and the capabilities of your equipment. That said you can only increase your abilities as a bbq cook. It will take a few more cooks for you to learn the basics and certainly it won't take you 50 years. I been doing low and slow for only 3 years now and I found that fire/fuel management is key.

I am not knocking temperature control devices. I have a 24x48 Gator, 3 WSMs, hog rotisseries and I depend only on the built in thermometers and handheld thermometers to bbq.

Good luck...
joe

I've never tried lump, I've only used briquettes. They work fine for me. If you want to run at 250. I start with two vents at 100% one at 0% (number 3 is stuck closed ...lol).Top vent is always %100 open. Once it reaches 210 or so I close the two remaining vents to 0% so all three are at 0%. It will cruise up to 250 and stay there all day, at least on my wsm. Weather makes a difference of course. Just adjust accordingly. Winter time I start with 15 lit coals, in Summer about 12. Just takes time to figure out the quirks on your wsm. Once you got it figured out, it's pretty much set it and forget it. Have fun.

Here's a tip for using lump and the minion method that I got here a couple of years ago. Use plenty of fuel. Can always use leftovers next time. Fill the ring 1/3.Twist the charcoal ring a few times back and forth to settle the lump. Fill with another 1/3, repeat then complete with the final 1/3 and add the lit. Lump burns the same as briquettes. The more oxygen, the hotter it'll burn. There have been reports of getting 16 hours out of a full ring of lump. Except for smoking a 13 lb chuck roll, I have never had to add fuel to a lump smoke. The key is avoiding air pockets beween the pieces as much as possible without making a science project out of it.
I've never seen the book you mention, although I've heard of it. He's just one author voicing his opinions. You will form you own with more experience. This site is your encyclopedia. Between the cooking section, the board and the search feature, you'll have all you need for great results. In the end, do what you like and what works for you regardless of what someone says. JMO. Enjoy
BTW, if you like to eat the chicken skin, get those temps up. Frankly, I'd love to hit ~400 every time I smoked chicken.

Sorry, I thought that he wanted to get to the finish line quicker. I'd still go with the Guru. I started with a Performer in a always windy location. If I had to do over again, I would buy the Guru so I could have perfected flavors sooner. Fire mngmt will always have to happen without esp. with long cooks and windy nites. With the Guru, I'm sleeping only to awake to BBQ perfection. JMO

Richard,

I typically use Kingsford Competition on the WSM for long smokes such as pulled pork, briskets, and spare ribs. I tend to cook chicken, turkey and duck on my kettle grill with either lump or briquettes at 350-425. The higher heat renders the fat under the poultry skin. It sounds like you were able to cook the chicken at a high heat first, which likely gave you tasty skin. I cooked my first chicken on the WSM around 250, which left me with rubber skin.

I’d like to switch over to lump charcoal for long cooks, but I haven’t mastered it yet. Thanks to Dave’s advice I think I’ll give that a try next time on the WSM. I imagine that using lump may be more economical when compared to Kingsford Competition and other natural briquettes.

Regards,
Oak

Hi Rich,
I'm still a little new to the WSM bbq world. I agree with Bill. Put the book on the bookshelf. I started off with lump ( royal Oak and Wicked Good ). I have never used anything else. I live where there is always a wind. I use a Guru and their fiberglass jacket. With the combination of those two I get a 16 hour burn with lump. It is a set it and forget it type of thing. Pack it full and tight. I never use water. Just line the pan with foil and the cleaning the pan takes a second. I want things to be as simple as I can get it. I also buy my rubs. Dizzy Pig is what I like. Head Country I use also. I think that it is best taste for a Butt. When doing your ribs next Sun., Guru or not, try to keep the temps between 225 and 250 and you'll be fine. Use a toothpick to check if the ribs are done or not. The toothpick will go through the ribs like they are warm butter when they are done. You'll know the feeling when you feel it. Good luck and enjoy!

Jason

Be sure to start a notebook to keep track of what you do each cook and what results you like and dislike. Just a spiral book will work fine. Mine lives in the shelf with the cookbooks.

Thank you all for your responses and advice/points. This place is fantastic and will no doubt help me on my road to being a great smoker
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I did try smoking some ribs this past weekend (2 racks), and it was basically a disaster. Just a comedic sequence of "happenings" that perhaps I will one day will share with you all for a good laugh. But it was rookie work at it's finest. I was the Mr Bill of smoking
icon_smile.gif

For those trying lump, it is IMPORTANT to use a quality lump.

Cowboy for example, which is found almost everywhere, is not a quality lump.

Go to nakedwhiz.com for lump ratings and evaluations.

FYI- I've had burns of 24 hours (with leftovers) with lump, and have never refueled.

Back