first smoke in progress, need help!!

Hey guys, sorry I haven't introduced myself before now, but I recently bought a WSM 22 and I'm currently in the middle of my very first smoke. I've had 4 slabs of baby backs on for a little over an hour and the temperature is spiking on me some. I used playsand in the water dish and everything evened out nicely after the first half hour at about 228 degrees. since then I am having a hard time keeping the temp down and it is approaching 250. I have closed all 3 bottom vents and the top one and it's still not coming down. do you guys have any advice as to what i should do? thanks a million...

Approaching 250? Don't worry about it. That's a perfectly reasonable temperature. If it goes north of 275, close one or more of the bottom vents until things start heading back south. Other than that, you're doing fine.

It takes time to affect temperature change so you have to be patient. Rather than fight it. 250 temperature for the whole cook is fine.

Also, try to avoid using the top vent for temperature control.

Bill, just my 2 cents worth but I never close the top vent ever... Also keep in mind if this is a brand new WSM it will take about 5-8 times using it before the smoker actually "breaks in" so you will see a little more fluctuation in temps. Russell is right 250 is a perfect temp to smoke ribs. Good luck and Enjoy!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill S (billgator):
Hey guys, sorry I haven't introduced myself before now, but I recently bought a WSM 22 and I'm currently in the middle of my very first smoke. I've had 4 slabs of baby backs on for a little over an hour and the temperature is spiking on me some. I used playsand in the water dish and everything evened out nicely after the first half hour at about 228 degrees. since then I am having a hard time keeping the temp down and it is approaching 250. I have closed all 3 bottom vents and the top one and it's still not coming down. do you guys have any advice as to what i should do? thanks a million... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If all 3 bottom vents are closed and temp is climbing, probably there is air leaking in from somewhere. Check door for fit, check roundness and fitt of stackable parts. I would open top vent in any case. coals should cool or go out completely with all vents closed. You could always disasemble and put water in the water pan. Kinda a pain in the ars but will lower temp.

well, i ended up closing the top vent and that brought the temps under control, although they never dropped below 233... and that's with everything closed. i even came back after the fire had been lit 10 hours and it was still chugging right along, with all vents closed, including the top, and burning at about 225. i find that a bit odd, so im going to check for an air leak tomorrow. the ribs came out great by the way. ill post some pics on another thread.

Back