First smoke in new WSM - Thanks to all!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

My wife got me a WSM for our anniversay last week. Thanks to lots of reading here I did a very successful 1st dinner! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I already had the ET-73 from trying to do some ribs on the weber gas. Can't wait to try it on the WSM now.

Started with the Minion Method at 10:00 Friday night. At 10:30 the temp was up to about 260* so I put the shoulder on there. It was an 11lb piece from BJ's. I left it whole not knowing any better about cutting it. I also closed the vents except for 1 to about 10%.
I checked the temp every 20 minutes (thankfully in bed watching TV) and it was holding stead at 240* until 12:30 when I decided it was running well and got some shut eye.
Waking at 6:30 it was still at 240* and checked the coals and basted. Everything was looking great.
Later that morning it was stuck at 165* for 3-4 hours. Thanks to everyone here I knew that was the magic plateau. Then it went up to 170* and stayed there for another 3-4 hours. Once it broke that it went to 195*. After 21hrs total time it came off and with some gentle tugs it pulled very easily. Everyone loved it.
Being already pulled it made for great snacking the past 2 days.

So the Renowned Mr. Brown, WSM, Minion Method, sand, and the Maverick was quite a success.

Thanks to everyone here for their suggestions and thanks to this site for having such useful info! Without it I'm not sure what would have happened.

The hardest part is finding the meat now. BJ's only seems to sell the entire shoulder. I did not see any beef marked as "brisket". Is there another name for it? That's the next thing I'll try.

Thanks,
Rob

Hello Rob,

Good job on your first cook!

I have always seen brisket marked as brisket. It is hard to find sometimes here in Alabama. I found it last weekend at Wal Mart on a Thurs before the holiday. I am guessing it sells out pretty quickly.

Pork Eat World
sonny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back