First smoke = heaven

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well, I finally got my birthday smoker yesterday. Unfortunately, it seems it was damaged in shipping. The bottom bowl was badly chipped in one area, had a couple of scratches and a bent vent flange, and the main chamber was pretty badly out of round. However, when I called Weber to find out how much replacement parts would cost (I never like to tell someone who gives me a gift that it's less than perfect), they instead said they would replace them at no cost! They should be here next week.

Kudos to Weber. That is absolutely the best customer service experience I've ever had in my life.

Unfortunately, I also had about 15 pounds of various meats I'd picked up in anticipation of The Big Day, so I decided to see if I could put some temporary fixes in place to get the smoker going. The chipped/scratched bowl was mainly an issue because I was concerned about premature rusting, but the egg-shaped chamber was a bigger problem. I tried to bend it back into shape, but that didn't really work out that well, so I ended up sealing the gaps as best I could with aluminum foil.

Then I trimmed some spares St. Louis style, rubbed the daylights out of them, fired up the smoker, threw some oak and hickory chunks on, and put the ribs in. Five and a half hours later I was eating the best ribs I've ever tasted. If anyone reading this is thinking of picking up a WSM but hasn't taken the plunge yet, do it. You won't be disappointed. Even with the problems, I'd have to say it's working out to be just about the best birthday present I've ever received.

Well, I'm off to check the smoker. Today I have a pork butt and a brisket going. In fact, I actually got up at 6 a.m. on a Sunday to fire it up, which my fiance found pretty amusing given that I haven't rolled out of the sack before 10 on a weekend since, well, ever. When the "Q" bug bites, it bites hard.

Incidentally, I'm using Dave Stamper's water pan modification today, which seems to be working out very well.

Thanks again for the great site, and for the useful input on my previous questions. Also, big thanks go out to Weber for the way they dealt with my parts issues. They earned themselves a customer for life.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Glad you finally got your hands on your new WSM and made some awesome ribs! Too bad about the damage, though. As always, Weber Customer Service does a heroic job of fixing things like this after they occur, but it's too bad these problems happen at all. Two units that I've had personal experience with that were purchased online and shipped by United Parcel Service were both in bad shape.

This is kind of a hot-button issue for me, so I'll try not to editorialize too much! While I know that much of the problem has to do with how the boxes are handled during shipping, I think the solution lies in how the units are packaged. In my opinion, the problem with the packaging is that:

1. <LI>the edge of the charcoal bowl is right at the top of the box, so a crushed box edge crushes the charcoal bowl; and
    <LI>all parts are stacked inside the box in a column, so any sharp drop of the box causes the parts to compress together, tearing the packaging material that keeps the parts separated, resulting in scratches, bent vent tabs, etc.
As far as out-of-round middle cooking sections go, I have a sneaking suspicion that some of them are shipped out that way...unless there's evidence that the side of the box has been crushed, of course.

Anyway, there's a lot of room for improvement when it comes to the packaging. Unfortunately, my guess is that it's cheaper for Weber to offer replacement parts after the fact than to redesign the packaging upfront to avoid such problems. Sadly, that means that quite a few excited customers open their boxes to find a less than perfect product, which is a real bummer.

Climbing down from my soapbox now,
Chris

Chris, et al:
I know exactly what you are talking about. We ship tons of these babies out and instead of 'drop shipping' from our distributor to the customer we ALWAYS send to us first. We open up the box and repack the darn thing.
We have sent some to Europe and they make it without a scratch...not a one.
If retailers would take the extra 5 bucks, and 10 minutes to repack...weber could save bucks...and customers could smoke upon arrival...(dream I know)

SS

------------------
Regards,
--
Steven A. Davidson, President
Ma's Smokin Chips, Inc.
PO Box 433
Palouse, WA 99161
Phone 509.878.1475 9am-5pm PST Monday-Friday
Fax 810.314.2439 24/7
http://www.smokinchips.com
Certified allexpert at <A HREF="http://allexperts.com
Subscribe" TARGET=_blank>http://allexperts.com
Subscribe</A> to our newsletter for deals, updates and recipes at
newsletter@smokinchips.com Put SUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back