First smoke/First post - Pork butts and brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark C

TVWBB Member
Greetings all, I have been lurking here almost a year and learning a great deal about the WSM thanks to all for the wealth of info! I have a file full of printouts!

Just assembled WSM; added a Trend thermometer in the dome and am ready to do 2 butts and a brisket this weekend. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I own a Bandera which is great for ribs, but it is a fuel hog and needs a lot more tending than the WSM. I got the WSM mainly for brisket, whole turkey and butts Where I don't need to fuss with it every 45 minutes to an hour.

Question is, I read where it runs hot the first few smokes. Do I need to do anything different the first time? I will use the Minion method but will start early Saturday morning so I will be awake the whole time to learn/mess with the vents.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Well I did my first smoke lst weekend. It was really cold in St. louis...lowsd 8 deg highs 20s. I had no problem with it starting out hot....I just watched the temp for first 1/2 hr..moving the bottom vents as needed. I kept the temp between 240 and 250 without much trouble. I even left for 5 hours and came back with no change in temp. Since it was so cold here i did have to add charcoal at about 8 hour mark. I used the Minioin method with royal Oak lump. I smoked ribs then a pork butt.

Regards
steven

Mark,

I got my WSM a year ago December and I did not experience the "running hot" that others talk about. I often wondered if sometimes people buy a WSM in the summer and fire it up for the first time in the full sun and it runs hot, as you might expect it to do.

Good luck with yours!

I appreciate the replies! It's forecast to be in the mid 50's this weekend with rain, but my smoking nook is covered and surrounded by house on 3 sides. Going to do a bunch of ribs, chicken thighs and sausage in the beast (Bandera) so I don't want to have to worry too much about the WSM as I fiddle with the other!

Going to do the Renown Mr. Brown with the butts. Can't wait! Have read so many good experiences with that recipe /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I was quite impressed with the build of the WSM. I have been through many bullet type smokers in the past 30 years and I think I am really going to like this one!

Mark, you will love this unit. I got mine in Sept and did two butts on top and a brisket on the bottom with the minion method on the second cook. My friends went crazy over the butts. Most had never had the smoked butts before. As you know, Texas being a "Beef" state you don't get much pulled pork here. Be prepared to have your friends amazed and patting you on the back over your cooking skills. Just don't let them know how easy the WSM makes it!

My first smoke New Years eve was two butts and brisket and it went great. Used Minion method and it went great. Did prime rib past weekend and ribs are next.

Hey Bob, it seemed like getting a good butt here in TX is as hard as getting a brisket in other parts of the country! I finally asked the meat manager at Sams and he said he has them in the back. Uses them to make country style ribs! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif No demand for the whole butt.

So now I know I can go there and get the 2 pack whenever I want to. They were .99 a pound. I got some great Carolina vinegar based sauce delivered last week so I am good to go! Brisket is a back-up in case they don't appreciate a good pulled pork! Doubt that will happen.

Sam's is where I get my butts also, and you're right, you usually have to ring the bell and ask for the two pack. Before Xmas they actually had them in the case at .88 a lb. There use them in South Texas for making tamales. Our HEB (grocery chain) here usually has them out also.

For super bowl I am getting ready to do my biggest smoke yet. Two butts and a brisket which will finish about 9:00am that morning (foil them and keep in oven at 190). Then I am going to fire up the smoker without the water in the pan and do a Turkey and ham. It's going to be Meat City here!

The last turkey I did I injected with a Canjun Butter kit I got at sam's and did the no water in pan and it took about 3 1/2 hours, but is was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back