First Smoke Complete! (with pics)

Mike Gray

TVWBB Super Fan
Thanks to all the wonderful advice I received on this board to all of my many questions my first smoke was successful. I made 3 racks of baby back ribs and smoked them for about 4.5 hours. They taste fantastic! I did have a few issues that were self imposed and could have been avoided. First off I didn't use enough charcoal when I started. I followed the BRITU method for the recipe and cooking instructions but didn't compensate for the larger smoker (22.5).

It was cold and snowing when I started but had no issues getting up to 225 - 230, but after about 3 hours I noticed the temp dropping to about 210. I messed with the vents but it wasn't making much of a difference even with them all open on the bottom so I checked the coals. They were okay, but wouldn't have lasted me through the whole session so I added a few more which did the trick.

I did have a bit of a temp spike when I tried to get the smoker up to 275 per the recipe and it topped 300 for a bit, but that was a minor issue.

The wind was the other issue. I was able to make a makeshift wind break and boy was it needed. The wind changed from 5mph to gust up to 26 mph. With the wind break I didn't notice any temp fluctuations, but I have a feeling it's how I burned my fuel too fast.

The ribs were a huge success and the family loved them! I am hooked! My wife called this my new obsession and I can't disagree.

Seasoned

141.jpg

On the smoker

147.jpg

3 hours in

148.jpg

Just off the smoker 4.5 hours

156.jpg

Smoke Ring

158.jpg

Ready for dinner!!

162.jpg

Mike, the pic or all the ribs plated and seperated looks AWSOME!! It helped me decide whats for dinner tomorrow; I just told the wife to pick up a pkg of baby backs from Sams!
Great first cook, and great pics as well.
BTW, welcome to the addiction!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Mike you done an awesome job sir!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I did have a bit of a temp spike when I tried to get the smoker up to 275 per the recipe and it topped 300 for a bit </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to massage your door, in your picture I see a huge gap at the top.

Good luck and keep them great cooks coming
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Congrats on a successful first smoke. Not starting with enough fuel was the same mistake I made on my first smoke. Sounds like you adopted to the weather and situations just fine.
My wife also thinks I am obsessed but does not mind since she loves everything that comes off the WSM.

Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

You need to massage your door, in your picture I see a huge gap at the top.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will take that advice and make some adjustments though I didn't have any other temp spike for about 4 hours. Only when I started really messing with the vents and had to add more fuel. I think I underestimated the amount of heat the new coals would add when the caught.

Mike, congrats on your 1st. May it be the first of many in the coming years. Those ribs look so good. I ate at a new Q place today with Steve from these boards.Believe me your ribs look so much more appealing than the ones I bought. I bet they taste better too.

Keep on Smokin'

Mark

Very Nice! Congrats!

I would recommend you start with a full ring. You can always reuse any leftovers. After more experience, you'll be able to make better judgements on how much is enough.

Nice Job Mike! I will be smoking a similar setup of ribs this weekend. I have found after my first couple of smokes that the cold weather definitely needs more fuel. I will take Travis' advice and fill er up this time. Thanks for the tips.....

Walter

Nice looking cook. Great pics. You'll be competing with Mr Lampe for best posts in the picture forum.

Wow. You really notice the grate size difference on the 22" with 3 racks on it.

Great looking ribs, by the way !

It's cold here today but now I want to smoke.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You really notice the grate size difference on the 22" with 3 racks on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got the 22" not because I foresee the need to feed 100 people, but because I wanted my spare ribs and briskets to lie flat without any heroic measures. Perfectly demonstrated here.

Visiting my first contest in Rio Rancho, NM last year, I saw lots of WSM's, but if you didn't know any better, you'd think there was never such a thing as an 18" WSM. I don't think I saw a one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">First off I didn't use enough charcoal when I started </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Congrats Mike. I always fully load the charcoal when smoking minion, even with ribs or chicken. Close all vents to put out the fire; the next day shack out the ash and reuse the leftover charcoal next time. Just make sure the coals are completely out if you are saving them.
And yes, a wind break is your best friend , even on slightly breezy days. Cheers!

Back