First smoke/Chuck Roll of the season...

Hey there folks.. well i did it.. my first smoke of the season...with a few hitches of course...i had to call my butcher in LA to find out what they might call a chuck roll here in NY.. well something like a neck roll or neck chuck. i got one.. i had him cut it to just 15 pounds.. having about 10 ppl over tonight.. well this is my story and with a question

I put it on at 1am..royal oak and 4 chunks of hickory with #2rub...Set it with the guru at 220 and nutemps...it went great until it starteed pouring...oh wait a sec, let me back up..i forgot to tell you that when i went ot put the guru on ..the wires were cut...the probe for the temp for the pit was cut in half...so i freaked ...but then i went and found it.. i spliced the wires and twisted them together and they workedback to the cooking...well so in the morning it was pouring.. didnt prepare for it and the guru and nutemps got drenched...um ya guru isnt working well right now....so i disconected the guru at 8am and told my wife that whenthe temp drops to put it in the oven at 220....around 11am she put it in the oven at 220 where it is still there now.....

so it was in the wsm for 10 and in the oven for about 5....i have two nutemps stickin out of the oven . one watching oven temp and the other the meat.. the meat has been at 157 for the last few hours.. i will be eating at 9pm tongith......thats in five hours....

QUESTION. when do you thinkk i should foil and wrap it....how long foiled do you think itll take to get to 190 from 160.....and i can always put it in a cooler for a few hourse.. whata ya think ....foil now or wait another hour or so....

some pics to follow

Foil it now. You need time for it to come up in temp and time to rest it. Poke some holes un the foil at the bottom and elevate it on a rack so that the fat can drain. Tough to say how long it will take to hit temp as it depends on its fat content and where in the plateau it is now. Increase your oven to 275, imo, you're a bit tight on time. Hopefully you'll hit 195 with an hour to spare for the rest--I think you should. Temp now?

im in big trouble now. my wife says that she needs the oven in about an hour to warm up other food.. ya i didn konw wabout that.. well i did foil right away and now its at 170 ...im goign to pump up the oven to about 300 or so....i mean its been cooking at 220 18 hours...so hope that did somethign ...nefways.. pumpin up the temp now.. got an hour and 20 degrees..... wish me luck

Good luck.

Though most people cook to 200-205 if you can get to 195, great, it'll work just fine--you'll get a temp bounce; 190 if need be--go as long as you can. A CR can take the higher temp. Enjoy your dinner!

jthanks buddy i popped the temp up to around 325-350.. i gotta get it up a lil more....gotta take it out in about 40 min.....oh well im sure itll be good..

thanks

whatta ya thnk would happen if the highest i get the meat is 180s....do you think it just woudlnt work.....

whata ya think if i pump up to 400-450 for the next 20 so minutes...

thanks
crunch time

Meat wrapped in foil, right? Not meat in pan and pan covered with foil, right? Give it a shot.

Could have lite the WSM up again if the wife needed the oven. Bring it up to 275* and put on the chuck. How did it come out Mords? Hopefully it all worked out for ya! Man, we had no rain here in Northport!

Good point nick i didnt even think of that......ill rmemer that for next time.....thanks kkruger for your help....

i pumped up the roll to 400 adn took it out when i go thte temp to 187.....i put it in a cooler for about 3 hours....

It was awsome!!! everyone loved it.. i had some french rolls and some KC...it was a big hit.. and i have plenty leftover...thanks guys...

gotta go order a new guru probe....take care

Mords

Back