First shot at brisket

Frank:

Great post, and a damn fine looking brisket. Nice to see another MN Q'er! Not a ton of us from "da nort". I've been a BBQ fiend for the last decade or so, and this forum has always been a huge source of quality info. Glad that you have added your experience. Good to see someone with that much success on their first try with brisket. Definitely one of the tougher cooks to get right.

BTW: Great job finding a 22.5" WSM for that price. I'm going to have to start trolling for a new one for myself. i have an 18" and it's starting to get pretty banged up, with vents that won't move and its no longer round. I keep cobbling things together to make it usable, but I'd like a new one.

If I can find a deal on a lightly used one, I may snatch it up and then donate mine to a buddy who wants to learn about doing his own BBQ. He has a gas grill that we are going to attempt to do a brisket on this Friday (Texas crutch for sure!). I shudder at the thought, but he wants to try and I'm going to be his mentor . . . Lord, help us!

Anyway, keep up the good work and continue to share with the group. This site is only as good as the people who contribute to it.

Bill

Something I should add to this- My plan was to smoke this brisket until it hit the stall somewhere between 150 - 160, then put it in a foil pan, wrap with tinfoil, & put it back on the smoker for another 3 hrs or so. So I pull the meat from the smoker, grab the aluminum pan I had bought solely for this purpose, only to find out lo and behold that the @&$#%^! pan is too big to fit on my top grate with the lid closed. Thankfully with a little creative bending & shaping of the pan I was able to make it fit. With the prep work I had put into this I went from PitMaster to PanicMaster due to something as stupid as not ensuring the pan I bought fit on the #%?! smoker!

Back