First run w/ WSM and first question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

After reading from this website and HomeBBQ.com, I made what was to become one of the best decisions in my life....I bought the Weber WSM!

Of course I bought it from Amazon.com, linked from this website, and at $179 with free shipping, got a steal!

I called up Rick Naug form Apple Creek in WA to get some wood. We spoke for almost 1/2 hour and never even talked about wood! What a grate (pun) guy! He quickly advised me to get some cooks under my belt before I even seriously approached the subject of wood. I did use a little of apple chunks from a log donated to me by a local restaurant. (I did use too much I learned, doesn't take much in the WSM). I have to say that I was in awe at the ease of use with this cooker! I had absolutely no problems maintaining 235*F for the majority of the cook time...What a breeze!

My first meat was a cut-up fryer (hind quarters, breasts and wings). I marinated for 3 hours in the fridge and got the grill going (thanks a million Mr. Minion! Your method was fast and effective.) Used cool water in the pan, put the meat on and within 15 minutes was holding at 225*F no problem. I turned the meat after 1 hour 20 minutes and checked meat temp 1 hour 15 minutes later. The breasts seemed to take a little longer so I opened the vents and raised the temp to 260-270*F at the end of the cook. My Taylor probe said that poultry is cooked after 165*F and the hind-quarter was reading 170*F so I pulled the meat off.

Once I got the meat inside, my wife and I grubbed on some of the juiciest, flavorful chicken we've ever had!

Which leads me to my very first question as a new member of this group: When I pulled the drumstick from the thigh, I noticed a small amount of bright red liquid near the joint (I assume blood). Why was the blood still so bright red? Is there something I did wrong? Is this juice safe to eat?

Any answers/advice/criticisms received with much thanks. And a huge thanks to all the experts and beginners who make this group such a great resource for us new guys to learn from.

-Steve

This from http://wywahoos.org/wahoos/cookbook/chicken.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Blood in Cooked Dark Meat

One of the great panics new (and even experienced) cooks encounter is cooking chicken to perfection, only to find that the leg or thighs are still red or bloody inside near the bone. While this may be unsightly in some dishes, it is actually relatively harmless. Chicken bones, particularly from frozen chickens, contain hemoglobin which leaches out of the bone during cooking. You want to cook long enough to avoid this, for cosmetic reasons, but the chicken meat is perfectly well cooked. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve
Dark meat needs to go to at least 175? internal and as it sets the internal will climb to 180? and that redness should be gone. You will have pink color next to the bone but that is normal it caused by the smoking process.
Every time you get a chance to talk to Rick Naug you will learn something.
Jim

While I realize it is almost sacrilegious to speak of the WSM mauel, I will do so. I cooked according to the manuel for about 10 years before tvwb came along and I later discovered it. I did lots of chicken at the 225 level of temp. The manuel says 3 to 4 hours for cut up chicken. I don't believe you cooked yours long enough. When cooked longer at the low temp it will have a slight pink color inside. I don't want anything inside a chicken that resembles blood. I mostly cooked chicken halves and would go 4 1/2 to 5 hours. The chicken stayed very moist. Can't recommend the skin, but I discard that any way. I kept the water pan full and I think that helped keep the chicken moist.

PRG

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
[qb] Dark meat needs to go to at least 175? internal
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim

Since Steve was cooking pieces, and not a whole chicken, I was wondering if you concur with the information on the website concerning chicken doneness as regards cooking pieces.

Thanks guys for your responses. I admit, I was a little concerned when I saw that my meat thermometer from the kitchen recommended that poultry reach 190*F! Then I looked at what the Taylor digital probe recommended. I guess I felt fairly safe leaning more toward the 165-170* range. Thankfully, its been a few days and both my wife and I have felt great, so no illness from under-cooked meat goin' on.

Regardless, its good to know that I can certainly cook the meat a little longer and not sacrifice too much moistness.

Speaking of moistness, I did notice that the breasts weren't as moist as the other pieces. I assume thats just because of the lower fat content of the breast? Would cooking the bird whole or halved help keep the breast a little more moist? It was probably a little drier since I bumped up the heat towards the end and left the breasts on longer than the drumstick/thighs.

Thanks again for the info everyone.

Jim- are you going to the BBQ Cook-Off Championship in Seattle that Rick told me about on Aug. 23? I'm hoping to go and meet some new people.

-Steve

Doug
I believe that info to be correct and in some places ok but in the Seattle area I have to take white meat to 160? and dark 175?(catering, the health dept requires we follow those guidelines), I find that the meat is still moist and tender.
I have no problem pulling the meat of the cooker say 5 degrees before those temps because as you hold it it will continue to climb the finish temp before you serve it.
Steve I will be at the event in Seattle but I will be vending this year, the company is Angel's Taste of Heaven Catering, a new company that my wife and I started.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Crockett:
[qb] Speaking of moistness, I did notice that the breasts weren't as moist as the other pieces. I assume thats just because of the lower fat content of the breast? Would cooking the bird whole or halved help keep the breast a little more moist? It was probably a little drier since I bumped up the heat towards the end and left the breasts on longer than the drumstick/thighs.

-Steve [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If you really want well done, very moist, tender poultry you should brine it. I've not done this with chicken but I do it with turkey. I'll brine a whole turkey or whole turkey breast for 24 hours before I smoke it. I've cooked it to between 190 to 200 degrees and it's still VERY moist and tender. Not a touch of dryness due to the brine. And there's no redness by the bones at all. It's totally cooked all the way thru.

Like I said I have not done this with chicken. But I don't see why it would'nt work the same. Although if it's in pieces you won't need to brine as long. I put my turkeys in a brine while it's frozen and allow it to unthaw in the brine in the fridge within the 24 hours. Works great. And the brine depending on what sort of brine you make will add a great deal of flavor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
[qb]I was wondering if you concur with the information on the website concerning chicken doneness as regards cooking pieces. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>When I use the term "pieces" in that article, I'm referring to separated thighs and drumstick, which is not what Steve did. Sounds like he cooked the unparted thigh/drumstick. Might need to take the unparted piece just a few degrees higher than specified in the article.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back