First run smokenator

You can also get VERY good results without the Smokenator by using a couple of firebricks to dam up the coals on one side, and a large water pan above.

I've used landscaping bricks for years to dam up the coals (they're shorter), with very good success. 78 cents a piece at Lowes. Plus a firebricks above the coals to act as a heatsink to keep the temps down. No water pan to refill, and up to 10 hrs cook time without adding one single coal. The Smokenator, while a good unit - due to capacity limits - can't come close.

You can also get VERY good results without the Smokenator by using a couple of firebricks to dam up the coals on one side, and a large water pan above.

I've used landscaping bricks for years to dam up the coals (they're shorter), with very good success. 78 cents a piece at Lowes. Plus a firebricks above the coals to act as a heatsink to keep the temps down. No water pan to refill, and up to 10 hrs cook time without adding one single coal. The Smokenator, while a good unit - due to capacity limits - can't come close.

That is brillant!!! I like that idea better than the Smokenator. Off to Lowes to get the bricks. Thanks for the idea.

I love the idea of firebricks above the coals. Never thought of that.

I am new to BBQ (I'm a griller) but I have found in my limited experience so far that the Smokenator is good for lower temps (180 - 225) and I can get higher temps with the fire bricks (250-325). Perhaps it is easy to do both the with the fire bricks but I haven't tried to go under 250 with them.

I think it is a good idea to do a water pan the way you have, much easier than the little pan that comes with the Smokenator. More experimentation, I say! :)

Laura

I love the idea of firebricks above the coals. Never thought of that.

For best results, in my opinion, bank a bunch of unlit coals - as many as you can fit - behind your bricks. They'll form sort of a 'D' shape on one side. Then dump about 12-14 lit coals, white hot, ON ONE END - not across the top. No need to wait for temps to come up, you're ready to begin cooking instantly.

In fact, I dig out a little cavity/crater on one end to ensure the coals will burn laterally (across), with no risk of choking out coals beneath them. Top vent wide open (or close) and bottom open just a sliver. Depending on how many coals you start with, you could be looking at 8-10 hrs untouched cooking at consistent temps between 225-250 (with a heat sink), with enough room to smoke a huge packer brisket or couple of small (5-6 lb) pork butts.

No water pan to refill, no coals to stir, none of that! :cool:

Last edited:
I like the smokenator so I can take off the food grill and place a roast rack on the charcoal grill with a big turkey in it. With firebricks there's no where to put the water pan with the food grill removed. I think I'll try the foil disposable pan on top of the smokenator to give me more water volume over the stock pan...plus it give more room for coals.

IMG_0248400x300.jpg

Hey Brian thanks for the thread link. I have read through it front to back. Very interesting. I can see some bricks in the future.

On a side note, I have a Smokenator 1000. It is a good product and works exactly as it is designed to do. I have spoke with Don (the inventor / creator) a couple of times when I bought mine. He was very helpful and courteous. But I can see the ease of use and the extended burn times of using bricks. There is a much larger fuel capacity when using bricks versus Smokenator therefore longer burn times.

Back