First run on WSM & first run at spare ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Fraley

TVWBB Super Fan
Went to the local butcher this morning and picked up just under 4 pounds of spare ribs. I could not believe how expensive they were. $6.99 a lb /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
But I bit the bullet and bought them.

I put a rub on them and let them sit out on the counter for an hour before I threw them on the smoker. In the mean time I got the WSM ready. filled the charcoal ring about 1\3 full with coals. Then threw 18 coals in the weber chimney starter. After about a 35 minutes the coals were ready. I spread them out on the unlit coals. assembled the cooker and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Then I put the ribs on. They cutt them down at the butcher shop so I was able to get them all on the top rack by just laying them out.

Well I threw them on. Temp control in the WSM is amazing! the first 3 hours it stuck around 245f. Well it took the first half hour the ribs were on to get there. But then after 3 hours I took them off, basted them with apple juice and foiled them (did the 3:2:1 method). Refilled the water pan with hot water (did'nt really need it though, but put more in anyway). Then the temp jumped up to 275f fast! after I stuck the ribs back on and put the lid back on. Keep in mind the bottom vents were closed the whole cook. So I had to shut the top vent 3\4 to bring the temp back down. It took about an hour to get it back to 250f. Next time I think I'll add cold water to prevent the spike temp. I did'nt even leave the lid off that long only a few seconds. But I did stir the coals and readjust the wood to get it smoking again. Maybe that's what did it. Then it stayed there till I unfoiled them.
I honestly think they were done then. I took a tooth pick and it went right in like a hot knife going thru butter. But I wanted to sauce them while they were cooking so I threw them back on. Sauced them twice in the last hour they were on.

They were ok. But I just thought they would have so much more flavor then they had. The BBQ was good but the ribs just tasted like cooked pork. It looked like ham to but it did'nt taste like it though. They were tender and moist. Pulled from the bones with ease.

I think if I used a rub with more salt it would have tasted much better. After I finished eating I figured it out that it just was'nt salted or spiced enough. Oh well next time I'll try a different rub.

All and all it was a good run. I really think a better rub will make the difference. As well as taking them off sooner. I think they were done coming out of the foil. So I'll watch better next time.

The rub is where the of the character of BBQ comes from, when combined with the right sauce that's the art.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
[qb] The rub is where the of the character of BBQ comes from, when combined with the right sauce that's the art.
Jim [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ahh, I understand a little better now. So the rub is the key to having excellent ribs vs having ok ribs. Next time I'll look for a good rub and sauce to use.

Also I was pretty stingy on the rub I believe. Just sprinkled a light dusting. I really think I could have gone much stronger with it. But I'm always afraid to cause the wife is so sensitive to spices. They always seem to taste much stronger to her then they do to me.

What kind of smoke wood did you use?

In your detail of the cook you mention the charcoal but not smoke wood. You might try to get some apple or cherry wood chunks. Dry and seasoned, of course.

Put three (about the size of your fist, actually just a little smaller works best) on top of the charcoal just before you assemble the WSM. That will add a nice smoky flavor. Along with a spicier rub, will go a long way to improve the taste.

I agree with Mr. Minion - the rub is key. Actually, as was mentioned in another topic, if you can stand the stuff a little MSG in your rub will act as a flavor enhancer - it doesn't make the food saltier, just brightens the flavor and makes your taste buds more receptive. Try mixing in a little with your rub and see if it makes a difference...IF you're not too sensitive to MSG. Personally I've never had a problem with it, but some people seem to.
Also, I personally prefer the flavor of loin backs over spares, but based on the price you paid for those spares, you might need to get a second mortgage for those! They end up tasting like bacon on a stick, and I love 'em. But that's just me...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Mason:
[qb] What kind of smoke wood did you use?

In your detail of the cook you mention the charcoal but not smoke wood. You might try to get some apple or cherry wood chunks. Dry and seasoned, of course.

Put three (about the size of your fist, actually just a little smaller works best) on top of the charcoal just before you assemble the WSM. That will add a nice smoky flavor. Along with a spicier rub, will go a long way to improve the taste. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah I forgot to mention. I used 3 chunks of maple wood for the smoke. I do have other wood as well. Like apple, crab apple, and pear. But wanted to try the maple for a change. Jus got it. I put the wood in just after I threw the ribs on. Is it actually better to throw the wood on a little while before putting the meat on? I'm starting to think it is cause then you get the initial burn done. That always seems to be the thicker smoke. Then it clears up a bit. But you can still smell it. Maybe I'll try that next time.

And thanks for the tip Dwain. Maybe I'll try some msg in my rub once.

Yeah, I've found putting the smoke wood on to get it going a bit first helps get past the initial heavy smoke.

I tried maple once, but it just didn't add that much flavor to the ribs at all. Really mild smoke. I use cherry most of the time. Been looking for a source of apple, but haven't found one yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Mason:
[qb] Yeah, I've found putting the smoke wood on to get it going a bit first helps get past the initial heavy smoke.

I tried maple once, but it just didn't add that much flavor to the ribs at all. Really mild smoke. I use cherry most of the time. Been looking for a source of apple, but haven't found one yet. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Apple is good. That's what I have the most of. I really have an almost unlimited amount of it. I do agree. I've tried maple twice now. Once on a pork shoulder and now on the ribs. But the apple is much better in my opinion. Not just a bit stronger. But a little bit sweeter as well.
Next time I'll use the apple wood again. Or I'll have to go to my dads and get some cherry wood too.

[qb] Yeah, I've found putting the smoke wood on to get it going a bit first helps get past the initial heavy smoke.

I tried maple once, but it just didn't add that much flavor to the ribs at all. Really mild smoke. I use cherry most of the time. Been looking for a source of apple, but haven't found one yet. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If you don't mind paying shipping, see my reply under online wood in this forum.

Smokin' Jim in NC

The paul Kirk book suggests starting with equal amounts of salt and sugar. I start my rub with 1c of turbinado sugar and 1c of kosher salt. I have found that if you rub the night before the ribs are too salty. If you rub an hour before putting on the cooker they are just right. This past Saturday I cooked up a batch of spares starting out slathering with homemade sweet German mustard from the book. Those ribs rocked. Some of the ends where a little chewy. But the bones where just right.

Dennis,

Had my first run of Baby-Back-Ribs last weekend on my new WSM. I used the BRITU recipe shown on this web site.

Created the "rub" with the ingredients as specified in the recipe and dusted the ribs. Then placed them on the counter for "3" hours at room temp (the recipe specifies 2 hours).

Cooked the ribs for 6 hours @ 240 degrees. Prior to serving, I basted half of the batch with KC's Masterpiece BBQ Sauce (5 parts KC to 1 part honey). The other half of the batch I did NOT baste at all. Everyone, who ate the unbasted ribs (myself included) agreed that they were very flavorful. No salty taste, just nice tasty flavor.

The point is.....that perhaps leaving the rub on the ribs for a longer duration - may help enhance the flavor. I'm a believer!

Good Luck.

-Albert

Thanks for the tips guys. I will for sure give it another run soon. Although I'll most likeley have to get the enhanced spare ribs from the grocery store due to the cost of the local butcher. $6.99 a pound is far to steep for me.
Oh well I'll just have to go a little lighter on the salt then.

Something to consider, ribs have a lot of surface but no mass. Under those conditions leaving a rub on a long time prior to cooking basicly cures them, they can end up tasting like ham on a stick.

Another thing to leave ribs out on a counter for 3 hours is questionable practice. I have found that putting meat on a cooker straight from the refigerator helps permote the production of smokering and I don't have to worry about the health concerns.
Jim

Jim,

That is an interesting perspective.

The 3 hour duration was accidental ( I was late returning from church!).

The BRITU recipe indicated a 2 hour rub period. What duration do you recommend for the best results?

Thanks!

-Albert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
[qb]
Another thing to leave ribs out on a counter for 3 hours is questionable practice.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have to admit that my food safety practices have really improved since reading posts like this. It's good to see reminders of safe food handling techniques.

Thanks Jim!

Dennis,
If you have a Costco near you, try their ribs. The price is much better than $6.99, they're consistently good quality, and they're not enhanced. I'm talkin' the cryovac'd Swift brand, two to a pac.

[qb] Dennis,
If you have a Costco near you, try their ribs. The price is much better than $6.99, they're consistently good quality, and they're not enhanced. I'm talkin' the cryovac'd Swift brand, two to a pac. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I believe the only Costco near me is in milwaukee. Which is about 45 minutes away. I do get there every now and then. I'll check it out when I get a chance.
Thanks for the advice.

$6.99 a pound for spare ribs is highway robbery. Call the cops. I never pay more than $2.99 per pound and even that's high-- I expect more like $2.49-$2.69.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dennis Fraley:
[qb] I personaly never leave anything out of the fridge more then an hour.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Makes for some mighty short smoking times!

Seriously, Dennis, it seems like all the pork in the area is "enhanced". Have you checked out Walmart in WB? They usually have baby backs, butts, etc. That's where I picked up the brisket that I did last weekend. Any decent stores in Hartford to get good meat?

A friend of mine is a pig farmer (no kidding). Maybe I'll talk to him when he's got some hogs ready to butcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back