First rotisserie chicken

Mack Manning

TVWBB Super Fan
PXL_20220704_213116859.TS_exported_5662_1656976712637.jpg

Looking for advice after my first rotisserie cook on my Genesis II S-435. I ran the left and right burners on high, about 350-400F according to the hood. Store was out of normal chickens, so I got two oven stuffers, about 6.5lbs each. Left is lemon garlic butter, right is Peruvian. The smoke box has apple and mesquite chips for the Peruvian chicken.

I put the breasts in the middle away from the heat, but they still cooked to the same temperature as the dark meat. Any suggestions to fix that?

At the end, I tried to crisp the skin by turning all the burners on high for 5 minutes, hitting 500F on the hood. It was bite through, as the YouTubers say, but not crispy. Should I go hotter earlier?

Video

View attachment 54527

Looking for advice after my first rotisserie cook on my Genesis II S-435. I ran the left and right burners on high, about 350-400F according to the hood. Store was out of normal chickens, so I got two oven stuffers, about 6.5lbs each. Left is lemon garlic butter, right is Peruvian. The smoke box has apple and mesquite chips for the Peruvian chicken.

I put the breasts in the middle away from the heat, but they still cooked to the same temperature as the dark meat. Any suggestions to fix that?

At the end, I tried to crisp the skin by turning all the burners on high for 5 minutes, hitting 500F on the hood. It was bite through, as the YouTubers say, but not crispy. Should I go hotter earlier?

Video
I'd say you did an outstanding job right there, and with a double, no less! No burnt wingtips or drumstick ends, nice golden brown...I'd call that a win!

My personal theory is that there is a layer of fat just under the skin that works against the skin getting crispy. Some people suggest separating the skin from the meat so that the grease has a someplace else to go, and applying a rub to the space between skin and meat, but I have not tried it myself. Yet.

A cheat for crispy skin is to salt rub the chicken and fridge it exposed for 24 hours in the fridge. Then apply your flavors, sans any additional salt. This process helps break down the fat layer under the skin while flavoring the meat. But don’t apply too much salt as your bird will be salty. There are some YouTube videos on this process. That’s where I learned it. Gives crispy skin all the time.

Great looking spinners you made. I’d call those a win.

There is also a couple of threads over in the gas grill section that might be of interest, too:

Thanks for the tips. I actually did dry brine them overnight, but probably could have salted heavier. I stuffed seasoning paste under the skin of both birds. After reading those threads, I'm encouraged to try higher temps. I started with the 2 outer burners high and middle on low, but killed the middle 2 when temps approached 500F. Next time, I'll let it go.

Back