First ribs

Bill Rickert

TVWBB Fan
After a couple false starts, I'm planning on doin 4 racks tomorrow. I have a william senoma rib rack and figure to get all 4 on top grate. Weather predicted to be close to 40* and 5-10 mph breeze. A couple questions. Why is the standard method used by most rather than mm? I also am debating about 3-2-1 or not foiling until taking the ribs off and then letting sit for 30 or 45 minutes with some aj applied. I've heard good results both ways and not foiling during the cook would seem to be an easier approach. Any comment?

The time in foil tenderizes and accelerates the cook somewhat, but at the expense of the outer texture. The subsequent time out of foil revives the bark, and allows a finishing sauce, if used, to glaze a bit. Be aware that 2 hours in foil is too long, unless you cook strictly at 225° at the grate.

You can use the MM if you want, but its primary benefit has proven to be a long, slow, steady burn over the course of 12-plus hour-long cooks, which a rib cook is not. I prefer to bring the temp of the empty cooker down to about 300° with the vents, add the ribs, and have the temp rebound shortly to right about 225-250°. With the MM and 8-10 pounds of ribs, it shouldn't take much longer, if at all, to get up to cooking temp.

I'm not sure that the SM is used by most--might be. I know that I and many others always (or nearly so) use the MM for ribs. Me, I prefer it for all low/slows. If you go with the MM you might want to start with a bit more lit if it'll be cold out.

On foiling: It's certainly a personal preference and though I do them both ways I foil far more often. I like the flavor layer I can add in the foiling process. The 3-2-1 method is not one I follow, however; I cook ribs at a higher temp mostly and those numbers don't work for me--occasionally I cook at a much higher temp.

I prefer to cook the ribs (I always cook spares) until they are very deeply colored. This works out to around 4.5 hours, give or take 20 min (if cooking at ~240) but I go by color and not the clock. Then I foil with mixed juices and cook till just tender (toothpick test) which usually is 45-70 min in foil. I return the unfoiled ribs to the grill to firm up for a few minutes (this would be the point to glaze if you wanted to glaze) but the ribs are done when they come out of the foil. (If wanting fall-off-the-bone--which I don't--I would take them past the 'just tender' point in the foil before unfoiling).

Ribs without foil are delicious too. They take a bit longer to cook though.

My $.02. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the lesson, Doug. OK, standard method and I think I'll go 3-1-2 or whatever is needed after the foil. Is there any neat trick to foiling using a rib rack?

After you foil, you can leave the rack out, and just stack the foiled ribs on top of one another. Consider trying just 45 minutes in foil on your first time out to see how you like its effect, and if you think longer-- and, therefore, more falling-off-the-bone-- is more to your personal liking.

Thanks Kevin, you always give me some good advice. Actually, I'm going to have another false start for tomorrow, my wife has a dr appt I just remembered, but will be ready for a Wed cook. Instead of 40* and light wind, it will be 30* and 10-15 mph wind, maybe a little snow. Perfect cookin weather since it's all I got.

Don't you loose almost all your heat when taking time to foil 4 slabs? I guess it will come back up by using the vents. Learn something every cook.

Remove the rack full of ribs to a work table, or the like, nearby, and close the cooker back up while you do your foiling. My cooking sessions are done just outside the garage side door, so my "work table" is the top of the washer and dryer just inside.

If you do the rib removal and the rib return each in one fell swoop, covering the cooker quickly each time, the heat re-stabilization is fairly brief. I stack the foiled ribs as well. One thing: Have your foil pieced out and ready and more available. Be careful when you foil so that a rib bone doesn't pierce or tear the foil; if it does grab another piece and try again. Better if you don't need to run into the house for more foil. Been there!

My 3-2-1 method has turned into a 4.5-1.5-.5. Oh, and that is for spares... not BB.

I've found that to work about best for me, getting good smoke flavor, and tenderness, without drying them out or making them too tender.

One thing about the Williams Sonoma Rack I found out... sometimes if you are doing half racks (with spares you'll need to) is that the arch is so high on it that they tend to fall through a bit. I think the WS rack is better for full racks of baby backs. If you do spares, I actually prefer the old rolling method to the racks.

Back