First ribs on the EX6

Fabien Goubet

Hi,
I tried the SmokeFire EX6 for the first time today. I just cooked one single rack of baby back ribs to see how the smoker worked. I was surprised by the accuracy: the temps given by the EX6 and by my usual probe were exactly the same, give or take 1 degree celsius.
It's so easy to cook that it's...too easy, really. It takes away a good part of the pleasur of setting up a fire in my opinion, but when you want to enjoy your party without stressing about the smoker, it's perfect.
I did not use water pans and my rack was a little on the dry side. Do you guys use tin foil water pans? Seem to be difficult to sit on the metal bars under the grates so I'm curious.

Dollar stores have aluminum trays at great prices, agree with @Lew Newby just pick a size that suits what you're cooking on the top rack, add some water and let it catch the drips while creating the steam. Bonus points for using apple juice, beer, etc. in place of water. Or a pan of baked beans to soak up the meat drippings.

The sky is really the limit here and you're cruising in an F-14.

That's why I spent FOUR TIMES what I was prepared to spend on a grill. So I could cruise along lazily at 30K feet and barrel roll out a few racks of competition ribs for lunch without breaking a sweat, while leaving plenty of room for a couple of pork butts for dinner. Room to stretch, room to play, low-and-slow or hot-n-fast, SF is all the grill I'll ever need.

91+L4lNhr4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Cook your ribs on the top cooking grate. You'll get more smoke and you can set a water pan under the ribs to also serve as a drip pan. I had a 14" deep top grate made for my EX6 and I do the vast majority of my cooking on the top shelf.
The top grate Lew has is a game changer, as soon as I saw his I asked how to get one. I was worried it wasn’t stainless but this thing has seasoned amazingly well. Gives the SmokeFire a real BBQ pit vibe as well.
A5447E0D-6294-4559-A508-6AB4D1403E0B.jpeg

Back