First Ribs on new WSM 22.5

Coley Archie

Trimmed these up last night, made up a rub light on salt, (wife has a kidney disease so we have to watch sodium intake) paprika, cayenne pepper onion and garlic powder, brown sugar dried in the over them mixed with the other ingredients. Put the rub on last night about 10:30 P.M.

Set up my home made smaller ring, as I did not figure that a 3 hr. cook would require a full ring, DigiQ kept the temp at 220 for 3 hrs. with out a hitch. Three pieces of pecan, one of hickory and two of cherry.

SpareRibsonWSM.jpg

Picture of my new smaller charcoal ring, perforated stainless steel, 11" diameter, 6" height to help get a clean burn on smoker wood while using less fuel.

DSC07901.jpg

Kept a piece of the ribs out after wrapping in foil and holding for an hour, put the rest back in and let them go another two full hours, the results were much more tender.

Internal temp had hit 170 for 30+ minutes at the end of three hours.

Guess it is a trial and learn thing.

that's a whole lot of wood. I usually use 2 pieces of wood for ribs. your home made charcoal basket is very cool but I'm not sure I see an advantage over filling the standard basket half way?

You're temping you ribs? A better way is to use your temp probe not for temperature but for doneness. When the probe slides between the bones with little effort, the ribs are done. The internal temp of a rib is immaterial.

I like the smaller ring, might try to do something similiar.

I tried using my old charcoal basket holders from the kettle for a short cook the other day.

Back