First Rehab!

Jeff Canto

TVWBB Member
Started to day on the Silver A(?) I think it’s what it’s called. Got the gas valves rebuilt and firebox, sides and control panel all cleaned up. Burner tubes are in great shape need to order flavorizer bars and an ignition button if they sell them. Other than that going to work on from tomorrow and should be wrapped up soon. Wanted to tackle an easyish one first and thanks to all the tips here it went pretty smoothly. Still learning a few things as I go. I should have painted the nuts that go inside the hood. They look bad now against the freshly painted inside.

Attachments

• 32D5DC43-44AB-4E05-BA41-FA2342B47399.jpeg
    32D5DC43-44AB-4E05-BA41-FA2342B47399.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 24
You didn't pain the inside of the grill did you?????
Anyway, that is a fine grill for a first rehab. I would try to find a 3 burner for your next one.
Do you need the rocker button for the igniter or the push button underneath of it?

You didn't pain the inside of the grill did you?????
Anyway, that is a fine grill for a first rehab. I would try to find a 3 burner for your next one.
Do you need the rocker button for the igniter or the push button underneath of it?
Nope Ive been reading and getting as much info as possible here. Cleaned the inside with simple green and left it bare. wasn’t really going for a flawless rehab on this one. Just getting my feet wet.

OK, good deal. Keep us posted on how things go and if you have questions, just ask. Seems like you have a pretty good handle on it already though.

My advice would be to replace any hardware that isn't already stainless with new stainless. If your grill does have some stainless hardware, you can clean/wire brush that back to nice. If you mean those "quick" nuts that hold the side pieces on, you can get new ones for next to nothing. I personally wouldn't paint, and really if it is still sound not worry about it at this point. Soon to be covered with grease and unnoticeable! 😆 Save that idea for your next grill!

Congrats, but just watch out: Weberitous - though dangerous only to marriages and wallets, not health and not requiring social distancing - is very easy to catch!

My advice would be to replace any hardware that isn't already stainless with new stainless. If your grill does have some stainless hardware, you can clean/wire brush that back to nice. If you mean those "quick" nuts that hold the side pieces on, you can get new ones for next to nothing. I personally wouldn't paint, and really if it is still sound not worry about it at this point. Soon to be covered with grease and unnoticeable! 😆 Save that idea for your next grill!

Congrats, but just watch out: Weberitous - though dangerous only to marriages and wallets, not health and not requiring social distancing - is very easy to catch!
Is there a list somewhere of common size bolts to these grill? And is there somewhere to get the plastic end cap fillers?

You can buy frame plugs on Amazon. (They are over $5 a piece on ereplacements:p!) They have all sizes. I am at work and don't remember the exact size. Measure twice...you know the drill. Anyway, you can get a stash of these fairly reasonable.

On the bolts, I would take a sampling to an Ace or similar hardware to replicate or buy online from Marsh Fasteners. Make sure you get 304 or, even better, 316 stainless. If you are going to do more grills having a compartment box with various sizes ready to go sure is handy!

Jeff,
If you can find the serial number on your grill, you can register it on Weber.com
Once you do that you can pull up the schematics for your exact model. It will have every part number for all parts of your grill. And for the older ones like yours it should even tell you bolt sizes.

The plastic end cap fillers are something like this....you just need to measure the size.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00SW52L4S/tvwb-20

Back