First really disappointing cook...need advice

Frank S

TVWBB Super Fan
This past weekend I cooked a couple of pork shoulders as a favor for a friend. The shoulders had come from wild pigs that his son had shot.

On examination, they looked a little darker than store-bought shoulders and with a lot less visible fat. About two hours prior to cooking, I applied some John Henry's Cherry Chipoltle rub. An hour prior to cooking, I took then out of the refrigerator so that they could come up to room temperature.

I loaded the WSM with Weber Competition, 2 chunks of cherry and 2 chunks of hickory. I usually go with a foil wrapped clay pot inside the water pan. However, for this this cook I filled the water pan with hot water. Using the Minion Method the smoker was up to 200 degrees in about 20 minutes, at which point I put in the meat. The cooker quickly got up to 235 degrees at the lid and stayed there for 10 hours. At hour 10, I removed the lid and sprayed the the shoulders with apple juice.

Here is my problem. The meat stalled at 185 degrees. It would never get any higher. At first, I thought that something was wrong with my Maverick ET-73. I confirmed the temp with my probe thermometer.

After about 14 hours the meat hadn't gotten beyond 185 degrees, but looked and felt dry to the touch. I pulled it from the cooker, sprayed it with apple juice, and double wrapped it in HD foil. I let it sit in a cooler for 2 hours. When I pulled it, it was indeed dry. It tasted great, but dry. I was not pleased.

What did I do wrong?

Might have been a good idea to foil it at 160 with some apple juice in the foil. Commmercial pork is bred to be fatty. A wild hog just does not have the fat for "low and slow."

Relying on temperature alone as an indicator of doneness is what you did wrong imo. Don't be afraid to poke/prod your meat. It was most likely dry because it was overcooked.

I would also bet that the dryness came as a result of the shoulders coming from a wild animal. Typical to any wild game, it was probably much more lean than would be a farm raised shoulder. It may have benefitted from being injected prior to the cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Troy Heitmeyer - Smokin' T's:
I would also bet that the dryness came as a result of the shoulders coming from a wild animal. Typical to any wild game, it was probably much more lean than would be a farm raised shoulder. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. I've had a butt stall at 185 and never get any hotter, but it came out great. The dryness was likely just the result of the meat...you yourself mentioned that it had a lot less visible fat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Commmercial pork is bred to be fatty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually commercial pork has been bred to be exceptionally lean. certainly the shoulder and belly tend to be fatty but think about the chops and loin that has zero marbling.

game tend to be leaner due to diet.

I'm not sold that injection would help much here. Moisture is associated with muscle protein, and when the proteins are overheated (overcooked) they push this moisture out (resulting in dry meat). Injecting liquid itsn't going to get moisture into the tissue and keep it there when you overcook.

Brining on the other hand interferes with protein allowing you to slightly overcook them without them pushing moisture away.

If we knew these shoulders were so lean (hindsite: 20/20) I would have suggested treating them similar to a loin in giving them a good brine and cooking them to temp. They may not be pull-able, but you could always slice thin and pile up on a bun.

dont forget that wild game meat HAS to be cooked to a high enough temperature as a minimum to kill parasites, regardless of tender,that do not exist in farm raised animals. you can eat rare and medium pork safely that comes from a store but you cannot do so with wild game.

if your cut has not achieved a high enough temp by thermometer but it is tender keep cooking. a lot of the techniques we use for BBQ today are designed around safe farm raised meat sources.

Wild game is usually going to be much leaner than those pork shoulders in the store, even considering the new/recent breeds and stock IMHO

I like the cherry chipotle - good choice I bet that was great.

I wouldn't have cooked at such a low temp or as long. Definitely would have foild to hold moisture.

In fact if I had a a wild pig shoulder I would treat it like I would standard store bought pork loin. Higher temps, probably would have done in on the rotisserie.

Nice try though - no reason for disappointment. You gave it your best. Now - will he give you some more next time to try a different method?

You might think about larding the wild cut. That is threading pig fat threw the roast. It's not as good as natural interstitial fat, but it helps.

Back