First real guru run

Scot Cummins

TVWBB Member
I just put on the chuck roll and pork butts.

Did a small test run last night to make sure I had the hang of it and it ran like a champ.

Now its time to go to work and hope the guru really does its (my old) job and tends to the fire.

Good luck, Scot. Post the results (and pics if you can)
icon_cool.gif

Still working on getting the digital camera, so no pics this run.

Fired up the smoker at 8AM using one of those diamond match tipped starters. Part hickory, part cherry for the smoke wood and a full ring of new and old charcoal. Put the 20lb chuck roll on bottom and two 7-8lb butts on top. I set the guru to keep it around 240 which works out to be 225 when measured with my digi therm. I went to the office and hoped it was working as expected. I got home around 4 and the guru was cycling as expected and the temps looked good. Around 10PM I tinkered with the top vent and closed it a little to try and prevent temps from getting out of control. At midnight I checked on it and the fan was having trouble keeping the temp up. I went ahead and opened the top vent all the way, stirred the coals, and added a good load of unlit charcoal. I also foiled the chuck roll at this point. Things were back to normal in no time flat, and I went to bed.

About 8:00 this morning the chuck roll was at 200 so I tossed it in the cooler and let it rest. The pork followed a little while later. Both pulled beautifully and taste great!

I was fairly suprised at how long the pork shoulder took. I am not sure if it was the 20 lb roll below them or what, but it took much longer than previous butts.

I found my dome temps were about 10 degrees below the temp at the top grate. Never did this test before the guru and eyelets.

Speaking of the guru and eyelets, I am completely sold! Both worked like a champ and very easy to install. Guru gave me a little trouble when the deflector plate blocked the charcoal grate, but that was easy to fix by installing in the higher hole on the vent. My only problem with it is the lack of remote monitoring. I will just go bug a friend with kids and get a baby monitor.

</end rambling post>

Back