First post - Found a redhead, ended up with a Black Genesis 1000

AlexHanWI

TVWBB Fan
I had a couple weeks off recovering from a surgery and not many things to do with everything being closed/restrictions post surgery, I happened to find a new project to pass the time and completely went completely down this rabbit hole.

I was driving down the street, and someone put this on the curb:

redhead weber.jpg

It sat there for 2 days, and finally I decided to take a look why no one wanted it. The frame attached to the legs were so rusted out, it would bend from a 90 degree angle to 45 degree, and I don't think anyone wanted to touch it. I figured I could just put some threaded inserts to fix the frame so it doesn't look like the leaning tower of Pisa.

The bad with the redhead:
  • Rusted burners and crossover tube and completed rusted out with gaping holes
  • LP manifold looked in really rough shape, and was rusted onto the firebox and couldn't get off
  • Frame was pretty rusted
  • FB were rusted, but could be salvaged for a little longer
This is where I started to go down the rabbit hole. I picked up a free grill couple years ago, Genesis Silver A, but knew I had to eventually move from a 2 burner to 3 burner because my 3 growing boys are starting to eat more and more. Never looked at the Genesis 1000, was always keeping my eye out for a another Genesis Silver B / C but decided free grill that could be rehabbed is always good.

When doing research on the Genesis 1000, I realized I REALLY wanted the flip up side table, and started looking for another Genesis 1000 so I could use as a donor, and ended up finding a blacktop for $40:

Black Weber.jpg

• Was in great shape considering, no rust on the frame, the insides had been not been cleaned in a long time so essentially preserved most of the firebox
  • Had the durawood (I don't think I'm ready to cut/plane/stain/poly just yet), as I wanted something low maintenance
  • They must have replaced the burner tubes as they were in great shape, the LP manifold regulator was in great shape
  • My plan was to keep everything on the new one I bought and swap out the black lid for the red one, and keep the wooden handle
It didn't work out this way (also I hadn't gone through enough TVWBB threads for more tips/ideas). The blacktop had the hanging basket holder, and the holder for the thermometer (not just the hole). The red top just didn't fit well on the firebox. My wife was good with me taking on this project, but she didn't want 3 bbq's in our backyard. So I listed on Facebook for free, hoping someone else could use it as a donor or fix it up and was picked up within 1/2 hour. It wasn't till after I regret not trying to swap the end caps on the lids to see and potentially keep the redhead lid.

Started to get to work on the Genesis 1000 and see how it turned out before I could make the decision to part ways with my trusty Silver B:

Cleaned out the firebox / end caps, Simply Green / steel wool for the lid, and was looking like a keeper.
End caps.jpg Clean Firebox.jpg

Came to an agreement with my wife, I really wanted the rcplanebuyer FB and grates since I am planning to keep this as my "forever grill", but only after I sold the Silver A. Was able to get $125 for it, basically all the parts I put into it (FB, grates, burner tubes). Was sad to see it go, but it went to a good home. (I didn't know about Simply Green until this thread, so was able to clean it up nicely for the new owner).

Silver A.jpg

Finally got my rcplanebuyer today, and wanted to finally make the post after benefiting so much from the forum and all the great resources:

New bars.jpg New grates.jpg After weber.jpg

Final bill:
  • $40 for blacktop Genesis 1000
  • $30 and change - Rustoleum Ultra / Rustoleum Matte / oven cleaner / brake degreaser / brake grease / Simply Green etc
  • $190 (w/ shipping) for rcplanebuyer fb and grates
  • +$125 selling Silver A
  • Total: $135 out of pocket for this project
    • Tried to minimize how much I spent, otherwise I would have love to sandblast the end caps / firebox. Paint job could have been better, but just wanted to clean it up a bit and prevent future rusting
    • Replacing the durawood for what i really want would have been time consuming and costly, so maybe in the future
Things I could have done better:
  • I could have salvaged more parts from the redhead, but didn't think till after listing it and reading forums.
    • The weber badge (better condition then mine). I tried painting and sanding, but didn't turn out as nice and the redhead badge was new looking
    • The axel (my weber has some surface rust on it)
  • I tried using the impact gun to remove the screws on the rails, and snapped it off (I had it turning the wrong way). I tried drilling it out, but was too much work, and wasn't impeding on the ability to hold the drip pan, so had to let it go.
  • Replacing the hose from the original quick release to a new regulator was a PIA. The manifold had 2 holes for a regulator, on the bottom and on the side (bottom one has a plug). When I removed the old regulator and the plug, the previous owner had messed up the threads and screwed them in the wrong way and put some sort of sealant. When I tried to put the plug back in, it wouldn't screw in, the new adapter wouldn't screw in, I thought I was out of luck. After painstakingly trying different things, was finally to get everything to thread properly / screw in. I'm never touching those again.
  • I used the matte Rustoleum for the firebox, and like some others, mine looks grey instead of matte black. I didn't have enough Rustoleum Ultra semi gloss to see what that would look like, but it's better than what it was before
  • I would like the replace the rocker switch, because cracked and crummy looking (but still works). They don't sell these anymore, and I'm keeping an eye out for new donors, but hard to pick up an entire grill just for a rocker switch, but we'll see.
What I'm most happy about for this rehab:
  • Cleaning the valves. I didn't realize how much of a difference it made until after. It was so gunked up, and it wouldn't set properly in low / med / high settings. Now it moves smoothly into each one and locks in place.
All in all, doesn't seem like a huge upgrade/rehab from when I first got it on the outside, just touched up the frame, firebox, end caps, lid. But the insides are clean, new SS flavorizer bars, grates, so I'm pretty happy with it.

After weber.jpg

There were some really great threads here and gave me some really good ideas and tips.

Alex,
Nice job on your Weber and less than $140 out the door is a bargain for a grill that will be handed down to one of the boys.

The important thing is you've learned some things along the way for your next Weber restore...and there will be more :rolleyes:

Jeff

What model was that first redhead? Has old wheels, long side legs, divided ‘undercarriage’ but thin slats.

Nice job there. And I am glad you posted the pricing of the FBs and grates. Too many think his stuff is too "expensive" but for $190 for a full set of 15 bars and both grates IMO for the quality it's dirt cheap. Yeah not flipping cheap but for your own to "keep" definitely worth it

What model was that first redhead? Has old wheels, long side legs, divided ‘undercarriage’ but thin slats.

Not sure, I didn't check the serial # before I put out for pickup. But it has the wooden slats, wire basket under, and the hood seemed a little bit older than mine. I'm pretty sure others would know what generation the redhead is though.

Nice job there. And I am glad you posted the pricing of the FBs and grates. Too many think his stuff is too "expensive" but for $190 for a full set of 15 bars and both grates IMO for the quality it's dirt cheap. Yeah not flipping cheap but for your own to "keep" definitely worth it

Definitely. I contacted him from CL and he was pretty responsive. The FB were $50, the grates were $115.

Shipping to Wisconsin was $25, but seeing how heavy the package was, I could see why.

My last grill, I bought FB from Rivers Edge (equivalent - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003IJHZN0/?tag=TVWB-20) on Amazon for $40 and and were pretty solid, but for $10 more, wanted to try steel with Nickel (304 grade) vs 430 grade in it to see if they rust less/slower.

Last edited:

Back