First pork butt

Also, I've been stuck at 174 degrees on the meat probe for a couple of hours. The butt feels extremely tender when placing the probe and I usually go by feel with ribs and other meats. According to the Mr. Brown recipe, I need to get up to at least 190. I know about the plateau with briskets, is this just the same thing?

It's only an eight pound butt, it's been in for eleven hours with 250 at the vent, I know it could take up to sixteen. Just wondering if it's normal for a butt to stay at one temp for so long. Last thing I want to do is overcook it. If the bone pulls cleanly, is it ready?

Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Ulrich:
Also, I've been stuck at 174 degrees on the meat probe for a couple of hours. The butt feels extremely tender when placing the probe and I usually go by feel with ribs and other meats. According to the Mr. Brown recipe, I need to get up to at least 190. I know about the plateau with briskets, is this just the same thing?

It's only an eight pound butt, it's been in for eleven hours with 250 at the vent, I know it could take up to sixteen. Just wondering if it's normal for a butt to stay at one temp for so long. Last thing I want to do is overcook it. If the bone pulls cleanly, is it ready?

Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're at the plateau. Be patient. For butts, I use the internal temp as the indicator. If it's around 195 and the bone pulls nicely, you're good to go IMO.

Butts certainly do plateau, usually in the 160s and sometimes again in the 180s. Butt needs to be tender to be done, like ribs, and if you're planning on pulling it, it needs to be fall-apart soft enough that this will be possible. If the meat feels soft and fall-apart tender and the bone easily twists, the meat is done regardless what the therm says.

Thanks guys, it sat there for a while and now the temp is climbing nicely.

Should be ready in an hour or so. Can't wait.

I can't believe how rock steady the WSM has been. I haven't done anything but add a little water and tap the coals once in a while after getting things stable about an hour in and the temp at the vent hasn't moved at all since this morning.

My neighbors have already invited themselves over.

What Kevin said regarding meat being done when it's done regardless of temp. Also, not to discourage you or anything but I've had 8 lb butts go 20 hours on me, they're done when there done.

Kevin, since Scott mentioned turning, I thought I'd ask you, do you turn/flip your butts? I've pretty much gotten away from it and don't see any difference in my results. Interested in your thoughts and my apologizes to Scott if I'm hijacking your thread.

No problem, I'd like to know the answer.

I only turned it over because it was in the recipe. I've done a few briskets either way and haven't noticed a difference. Thought maybe a butt with all of the connective tissue could benefit from a turn.

Anyway, it's resting right now. I pulled a small piece off the end -- really good.

No, I don't flip, rotate or mop when cooking in a WSM. Doesn't necessarily hurt but I've never found it especially helpful.

Kudos on your first, Scott!

The only time I would find it useful to flip is on a very long cook, if your not going to be foiling. Like the one time I did a 18.5 lb chuck roll and said I'm not going to foil this to see who it turns out verses foiling. Well I should have flipped it because the side that was facing the heat/coals from below for 21.5 hrs. got really, really crispy. All of the bottom heat facing bark had to be tossed. This is why many of us have gone to cooking briskets with the fat cap down, facing the heat/coals below to help protect it from the heat below.

Scott, as Kevin has already stated the temp doesn't always tell the story. A couple of weeks ago I did an 8lb butt on my WSM for 24 hours at 225* and the internal never got above 185*. I wrapped her in foil and placed in a cooler for an hour before pullin an it was not only done but it was very mosit as well. After reading several of Kevin's posts, I have finally figured out that when it's done it's done and with pork butts they tend to be the easiest to cook, so if you get the time read as many of his posts that you can. He along with several other folks that posts their suggestions and ideas have helped me more than I can ever imagine. Most of all make each cook a learning event as well as an enjoyable event.

Thanks everyone,

It hit another plateau at 186 and sat there for a long time and I got impatient and pulled a piece off the end to taste it -- excellent. I sat and watched it for a while longer while it wouldn't rise above 186 and decided to grab ahold of the thing and see how it felt -- almost fell apart.

I took it inside and wrapped it for half an hour and then it pulled perfectly.

Very happy. Also learned a bunch about running the WSM for a long time.

That's what it's supposed to look like.....Congrats on the first cook!

And yeah, where do you live in Michigan? I am in Indiana, so I won't make it until dinner!

icon_biggrin.gif

Back