First Pork Butt on WSM adding coals during cook

I smoked my pork butt at 250 and used Bad Byron't Butt Rub and it hit 202 internal temp at 14 1/2 hours later. I took it off, wrappped it in foil, then towels and placed it into a cooler until we were ready to eat. I have to say it was AWESOME, and everyone who ate it agreed. I plan to post pictures as soon as I can.

Thanks Dennis for your help, and I'm glad yours turned out good. I have some of Bill Cannon's Original rub ordered and I normally use that on all my meats. I didn't count the bags of rub correctly and ran out so I tried the Bad Byron's and it was very good also. The bark was excellent with just the right amount of heat we like.

George

Cool Dennis--

What is his website to order rubs ? Does he have a "General Purpose" rub that can be used on about any meat, and have just a bit of heat in it ?

Thanks,

George

Sounds like something I need to try one day. I'll shop there today.

Also, you need to try a rub Bill Cannon makes, called the ORIGINAL, at texasbbqrubs.com. It has been my favorite all-purpose rub for ribs, brisket, beer can chickens and pork butt until I tried Bad Byron's Butt Rub, and I liked it very well. They two are very similiar. Thanks for the site to check.

George

I saw that Rub awhile back. Don't know why I didn't buy it. I will check it out for my next Brisket.

BTW- Ron is offering free bottle of his BBQ sauce he makes with every order in June. Just saw it on his FB page.

Hey guys, first time to the forum.....I have done 10 - 15 long smokes on my WSM 22 and I never get close to 12 hours on a full ring of coals. I always have great results, but I end up using **** near an entire 23# (including 2 - 30 coal refills) bag of coals to keep the smoker running at 325 - 350 degrees for 15 hours or so. What do you think?

Were your temps a typo? At 325 to 350 you are smoking VERY high heat; your butt should be done in about 6 hours, and you certainly will burn up your charcoal in less than 12 hours. At 225 to 250 I can easily get 16 hours with a full ring of KB in my 22 using the Minion method.

Originally posted by G Marino:
Hey guys, first time to the forum.....I have done 10 - 15 long smokes on my WSM 22 and I never get close to 12 hours on a full ring of coals. I always have great results, but I end up using **** near an entire 23# (including 2 - 30 coal refills) bag of coals to keep the smoker running at 325 - 350 degrees for 15 hours or so. What do you think?

You should be smoking at about 250 degrees on a pork butt. I have a WSM 18 1/2 and when I load it up with charcoal, I get about 14 hours smoking time. With that said, I use the GURU DigiQ 2 Temp Controller and I close ALL my vents except the top one, and I leave it about half-way open. Put it on late in the evening, go to bed and get up and it's still nailed on 250 degrees. My meat probe is then monitored until the meat temp gets to about 200 degrees, pull it off, let is rest a while and cool down, then pull it. It falling apart tender when you take it off the grill, so have a pan handy, and maybe another set of hands. I may start using butcher's twine and tie it together for easier removal from the pit. Good luck.

Originally posted by G Marino:

By the way G Marino, plan on about 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours per pound on pork butts. Mine didn't take quite that long at 250, but it was falling apart tender. I also load it up throught the charcoal some hardwood, hickor and/or some pecan or both mixed in. The cooking time for me is used to guage how much sleep I get, 8 or 10 hours while my DigiQ does the work. LOL

I smoked an 8.5lb butt over the weekend. I smoked it at around 215-230 for just over 19 hours, no foil, no spritzing. I also tried Texas BBQ Rub (original) for the first time and liked it. I look forward to trying their brisket rub. They smell great in the package, and I like the results I got on the pulled pork.

I am SO glad that I learned about the possibility of a second stall from reading here. I had experienced this before without knowing it and had screwed up in the past by taking the butt off too soon. This was the first time that I knew what was happening, waited out a long stall at 185, and got the best results I've gotten on a pork butt. I'm also slowly learning to tell the difference between the feel of the butter-like tenderness that you want and the almost-but-not-quite-there feel. Thanks again for all of the coaching and advice!

Crank up the heat to 250 and it will cook faster, but still be "Fall Apart Tender". I always use Texas BBQ RUb Original except this last butt I had run out. I used "Bad Byron's Butt Rub" and found it to be about as equal as Bill's "Original". Yes, you cooked it a long time, and that's fine if you have the time. I'd rather sleep and get up and tend to it and let my DigiQ Temp Monitor do the work. I'm lazy. My 9.5 pound butt was ready in 14 1/2 hours at 250 degrees. You done good.....keep it up. "Stalls don't matter if you are sleeping" ! LOL

Back