first picnic

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

JUST A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS.I'VE SMOKED SEVERAL PORK BUTTS FROM COSTCO WITH GREAT SUCCESS FROM THIS FORUM.BUT THIS WEEKEND I AM GOING TO DO MY FIRST PICNIC.MY MAJOR QUESTION IS TO YOU REMOVE ALL OF THE SKIN FROM AROUND THE BONE BEFORE THE SMOKE OR LEAVE IT ALONE.ANY OTHER ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

P.S. I LOVE THIS WEB SITE AND THE WSM

I've only done one and removed the skin. Otherwise, cook just like the butt. Not much difference, really, althought imo it was little drier - but still very good.

Paul

I guess I'm the exception to the rule when it comes to picnics. I leave the skin on. However, I do run a under the skin parallel to the meat to form a pocket for receiving the rub.

When the meat is done, the skin will easily slide off in one piece. This saves a lot of time and delicate knife work prior to the cook.

Ken

I do Picnics 99% of the time. I trim the skin off, only takes 1-2 minutes. If you have people you are smoking for that don't really care for a lot of smoke flavor, leave it on, and serve their portion from under the skin where less smoke get to it.
I leave about a 2-3 inch section of skin around the bone in case there is anyone that wants to eat a little skin. Start in the front of the skin, lift/pull on the skin and swipe lightly with a curved knife of your choice, and it will come off really easy. I got 2 9.5 pounders going on Tuesday night.

Back