First Picnic on WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Did my first pork shoulder (picnic) on my new WSM. it was a relatively small one (just under 4#) It took close to 10 hours just to get to 175* Couldn't wait any longer (wife was getting impatient and hungry). Damn good!! Next time will try the overnight cook with some Costco boneless butts.

P.S. used a combo of storebought hickory chunks and some White Oak logs i have split for firewood.

If you thought the picnic was good wait till you try the butt. Definately go with the overnight if youre impatient. Letting it finish in due course is WELL worth the wait.

The boneless butts can fall apart, but are easy to tie with some kitchen twine. Keeps it's shape and the pieces cook together. Boneless makes it easier to get the excess fat out also.

I like the bone in butts much better. JMO Jim is right, if you liked the picnic you will be even happier with the butt and so will the wife!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rodgers S:
I enjoy the ease at which the bone comes out after that long cook. Awesome. Rodgers <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've even had the bone falling apart after a really long, really slow cook!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back