First overnighter w/ lump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe McManus

TVWBB All-Star
I finally tried a long cook using lump. It was supposed to be brisket, but ended up being a couple pork butts (long story).

Some of my observations:

1) It was more work regulating temperatures. And the temperatures bounced a lot more.

2) I was a surprised at the charcoal consumption. I went through almost a whole bag of Cowboy brand lump. It was very windy, but was pretty warm outside.

3) I'm not sure I detected much of a difference in taste. I'm not really sure what I was expecting either.

Summary - I'm not sure it was worth the effort in switching to lump from briquettes. Flavor was similar, but having to check the dumb thing a lot more frequently is a little frustrating. Like I said, it was VERY windy and I could have done a little better job of shielding it. I've become very comfortable with my settings using briquettes, but the same settings w/ lump would extiguish the fire. That said, I'm still going to do a brisket next weekend using lump.

I also experimented for the first time injecting the butt (used one of Stogie's suggested marinades floating around the archives). I asked everyone to sample pulled pork "A" and "B" and give me their feedback without telling them why they were different. It was unanamous that the injected meat had more flavor.

Joe, I think you are right giving it another go. When its windy out it can throw everything off. Make it as even as possible in regards to the conditions when testing. Then you can make a fair assesment.

Joe,

Here is a link for you about Cowboy Lump,
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag6.htm

In my experience with lump, which is just about all I'm using right now, I have found it just as easy to control temps as with briquettes. IMHO it sounds like the wind was your enemy, it will cause your temp movements and higher than normal charcoal consumption.

You also might want to try a better brand of lump if you have one available to you.

Bruce,

How long do your overnights last with a full charcoal ring of lump? Assuming not real cold/rainy/windy conditions, Minion method and say 3 chucks of wood. 12 hours? 8 hours?

What (final) vent settings do you use for a lump overnight?

Thanks,

Glenn

Greg's sure right about the wind. When the hurricanes wiped my screens out everything changed.

I'd not seen the link that Bruce posted before (thanks, Bruce) but their review of Cowboy echos my experience with it precisely. It's okay for heat for short cooks but that's it.

Kevin,

I'd like to see your answer to the questions I posted to Bruce above too. You sound like you really know what you are doing WRT BBQ.

Bryan, you can chime in too. Susan or Bill H too, if you use lump.

Thanks,

Glenn

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn J:

How long do your overnights last with a full charcoal ring of lump? Assuming not real cold/rainy/windy conditions, Minion method and say 3 chucks of wood. 12 hours? 8 hours?

What (final) vent settings do you use for a lump? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glenn,

I basically use the same procedure on all my long cooks. Minion Method, full charcoal ring, be it lump or briquettes, I put about 15-20 lit briquettes on the lump, add my smoke wood, assemble the cooker and add the meat.

I always control my temps on the way up. I start with all bottom vents 100% open (top vent always 100% open). When the lid temp gets to 200 I close the bottom vents to 50%, when the lid temp hits 220 I close the bottom vents to 10% or just barely open. Your cooker should settle in with a lid temp right around 235-245 which should translate into a top grate temp of 220-225.

I have had all-night cooks go from 15-20 hours on one load of charcoal. Mind you, I block the wind to the best of my ability. If I do start to lose temp I will usually open one vent to 50-75% and that ususally brings the temp back up. At the end of the cook when the meat is at temp, it seems that there is always some lump left that could continue to burn, I don't know for how long, I have never run a test just to see how long I could get it to go.

If you have any other questions, my email adx is on my profile.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn J:
You sound like you really know what you are doing WRT BBQ....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. (Not sure how many would agree...[slight 'inside' joke
icon_smile.gif
]). Bryan and Bill have checked out several lumps and could report better I'm sure. I haven't done that many overnighters with straight lump. I scored some Humphrey lump off a friend in Penn after Bryan spoke of it so highly and I really liked it. Long burn time--18-20 hrs no problem with some left over. With a Guru (and maybe a bit higher ring-fill) I'd expect you'd get more. But now I'm out of it and I've yet to go longer. I've been wanting to try Wicked Good's Comp blend but I don't think they have it available yet. And the shipping $$$

I haven't yet tried lump. I tried to get a bag the other day but it was GONE---replaced by firewood in Trader Joes.
icon_frown.gif

Still, I was only going to use it for grilling. Oh, wait, I think I was going to try it if I ever did fowl in the ol' WSM.

I broke down today and bought a frozen turkey, and if it ever thaws, it's going on the grill or the smoker. I still haven't decided if it will be a "fosters can" turkey, or on the rotiss, or if it will get brined and go in the ol' WSM, but I'm definitely going to do SOMETHING with it outside!

Sorry to dissapoint...I've only used lump once. Hump lump at SmokeStock and it wasn't that much since we only cooked beans and the cabbage in my WSM. I did use the Guru and it seemed to be everything Bryan S. said it is. I brought back 80 lbs of the hump and will be cooking 4 butts with it either tonight or tomorrow night (Wifes on the late schedule today
icon_frown.gif
). The only thing I didn't like about it was that it sparked pretty good when firing up the chimney ~ Worked fine in the WSM. I'm going to be using Bryan's method and lay 15 or so lit Kingsford over the unlit lump and go from there (using the Guru, of course).

Susan, I'm very interested in doing a turkey on the rotis, so if you go that route, I'd love to see a report. I want to do a 12 pounder in the next week or 2 but am concerned about getting it balanced on the spit... thanks..

Bruce,

Thanks,

Glenn <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glenn, a full ring of lump (8lbs.) lasts me 16 - 18 hrs. Before the guru my vent settings were somewhere around 25-30 % on overnight cooks. Wind is the main reason i bought the Guru.
Joe, you really need to find a better lump. Wind is the WSM worst enemy. Shawn, had the same problem with his windy snowy cook the other weekend. Doesn't matter if you were using lump or Briqs you would have had the same problems. Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K Kruger:
You sound like you really know what you are doing WRT BBQ....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I've been wanting to try Wicked Good's Comp blend but I don't think they have it available yet. And the shipping $$$ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The WickedGood should be available soon. WickedGood Update
icon_eek.gif
Bryan

So far, my choices of lump have been rather limited. Its Cowboy or Royal Oak. I realize that there's a whole world of mail order out there, but the better half can only take so much in shipping costs etc. I'd used Cowboy a couple times for grilling and was very pleased with the result. Burned nice, was great to grill with.

As for wind, yes it was windy, and I could have done a little better job of sheltering my cooker, but its not like it was exposed to a direct hit the entire time. I've also used briquettes in similar wind conditions with similar shielding, only a lot colder and didn't need to fool with the stuff anywhere near as much.

Much of the cook seemed to be ON/OFF control. Close vents down, fire dies, open up, 280 - 290 in dome. I could get it that "sweet zone" for only about 2 hours at time or so.

I'll try the royal oak next time I think, see if that improves the behavior.

I was also trying to push the butts along, going for a 12 or 13 hr cook, so they were foiled for much of this and the extra heat I had was only helping. I realize the mantra is "its done when its done", but sometimes one has to coax those little devils into behaving and follow the cooks timing insteadd of their own.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan S:
The WickedGood should be available soon. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks, Bryan. Have you tried it? So many people have raved about it it seems like a gotta try lump.

If you want to try some FANTASTIC lump, try a box of that Kamado extruded coconut lump. That stuff burns GREAT on a MM cook. It's kind of hard to find - a friend of mine ordered several boxes and gave me one, with which I've been quite stingy. Several of us in this area have been toying with the idea of ordering a pallet to split between us; have also been working on a local dealer to try to get her to carry it for us as well. Give it a try if you can find it. The stuff makes for an absolutely outstanding cook.

Kamado Extruded Coconut Charcoal Review and Pix

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Kevin, I'm on the contact list. WickedGood will send me an email when it comes in. The first thing i'm going to do is order mine and then i will post it on the forum.
icon_biggrin.gif
Have been trying to get it for quite some time but they are always sold out. Naked Whiz gave it a great review so i'm really anxious to try it to see how it compares to Hump Lump.(my favorite so far)
icon_smile.gif

Anybody on the Eastcoast who wants to try some Hump Lump give them a call at (814) 849-2302 and they will tell you if it's in your area. Email doesn't work. I know that it's avail in the Newengland states and down in Virgina. Not sure how far down it's avail but it's worth a try if you want some darn good lump.
icon_smile.gif
Bryan

Keri - you are right about the Kamado extruded coconut charcoal. It is wonderful. I use it in combination with the lump from Walmart - Real Flavor. Nakedwhiz review says the WM Real Flavor lump is made by Royal Oak and it is rated pretty good. I like it. Walmart is nearly everywhere so chances are you might find Real Flavor easily. It isn't expensive. The Kamado ext. coconut can be ordered, but you have to get a 30 box pallet and the shipping is steep. Check outExtruded Coconut Charcoal. If you're near Sacramento, drive over and save on shipping. Same for Atlanta.

Richard

Richard--I was wondering about Atlanta. Is it a pallet minimum if you pick up at the Kamado DC to get the $6.99 price? Do you know?

I'm hoping to squeeze a pallet of Hump in the trailer next time I'm in Penn if I can get a good price on it out of Brookville. It's not available--yet--in Fla...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back