First overnighter questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk J

TVWBB Member
Local store had butts on sale for 87 cents/lb so I'm going to be attempting my first Renowned Mr. Brown overnighter next weekend and had a couple questions. Got 2 7 pounders, and am having people over for the game next Sat night so want to at least get some decent sleep Friday night doing the butts. I've always followed Chris's procedures pretty much to the tee. That's my first question. How important is that first 4 hour turn and mop? Could that be done at 6 or 8 hours instead. If I don't have to get up because of temp problems I'd just as soon not have to get up for that. Second, I don't have the Brinkman pan for water. If I can't find one locally before Friday, sounds like I'd be better off with sand for an overnighter? I know this has been discussed in the forum quite a bit, but wanted to through it out again, and get some thoughts. Thanks for bearing with my questions.

basting at 6-8 hours instead of 4 should be no problem..thats actually closer to the halftime in that cook than is 4 hours

never used sand personally but seems it would solve the pan refill problem..may cook a tad hotter but i'm not 100% sure of that.

Hi Kirk! I've never moped or basted a butt. I spray with apple juice every now and then. They IMO are pretty easy to cook. I don't turn them either. The butts have always come out pretty darn good. Enjoy the game and friends.

Chach

I've only done 2 butts, so take that into consideration. I have not turned either. One was mopped, the other not. Both were great and my family loves 'em. They'd eat it every weekend.

I have done 3 overnighters in the WSM (2 butts, 1 brisket). I have never even come close to using up all the water. Around here the wind usually quits at night and the cooker really settles down to a nice, slow, consistent burn. With no breeze to carry heat away I actually end up closing down the vents more than daytime cooks. The water generally just barely simmers for me so it can last a long time.

It's quite a kick to walk out in the morning and see the temp at exactly the same place you left it.

I have done several overniters, and thanks to all the help from this great forum, all came out great. I have mopped, sprayed, and turned just like in Chris's instructions. I have also slept through and done nope of that. I couldn't tell much difference in any of them. It was nothing I did or didn't do, the butt is easy to cook, and the WSM is a good cooker. I have switched to sand in the pan, and don't see me using water much more. Be sure and leave about one inch from the top of the pan to catch the drippings from the butts. Hey, you might as well put a brisket on the bottom rack while your at it! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I like using the brine method that Alton used on one of his shows. With Sand, not water and no basting or spraying. With fresh pork, not cryovaced, injected or packed in any solution.

Brine:
8 ounces or 3/4 cup molasses
12 ounces pickling salt
2 quarts bottled water

Combine molasses, pickling salt, and water in 6 quart Lexan. Add Boston butt making sure it is completely submerged in brine, cover, and let sit in refrigerator for a minimum of 8 hours. 12 hours is ideal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back