First overnight smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentg

TVWBB Member
Ive got a 6 lb pork butt and a 3 lb brisket flat. Im heating my smoker and will put the butt on about 10 pm. Im putting the brisket on sometime before 6 am. I shooting for lunch.

Im on vacation, its my sons 4th bday today, ive gotten into the homebrews already, its 65*, the crickets have finally come out and im gonna BBQ! This is a rare moment for MN.

Sounds like you have the recipe for some good times. Using any special rubs/sauces/woods etc?

AR

On the butt I used yellow mustard, Billy Bones BBQ Rub(with extra salt added), brown sugar (artistically measured), and Famous Daves Rib Rub to cover it. The brisket got a soak in worchestire, then got some brown sugar and Billys rub also. Im using some hickory. Ive got Famous Daves sweet and zesty, and some Sweet Baby Rays for sauce.

Drinking an IPA and also a Brown ale.

Pics...

http://home.comcast.net/~bdg2/bbq.htm

The Blues Brothers is my all time fave movie btw.

well, I decided to throw on the brisket tonight (or this morning
icon_smile.gif
) at about 12:30. I want both to be plenty done and have rested for lunch. fat side down under the butt. foiled the hickory chunks a bit. smoking along nicely. temps at at about 220. nite.

crap I forgot to take a pic...pheww. those IPAs are whoppin my behind!

7 am and the butt is at 140. temps were about 210 all night. i partially wrapped the wood chunks with foil and wish i hadnt. they havent burned much all night.
icon_mad.gif
i was sure to stir em up and now its puffing away. ill check on the brisket and flip both after the smoke dies out. having some icewater.
icon_wink.gif

Keep us posted and good luck! Those of us who can't cook this weekend are having to live through those of you that are. I normally run the cooker up around 250 so I'm waiting to see how it turns out.

Driving all weekend so it's vicarious Q for me. North Georgia now, somewhere in the western Dakotas by tomorrow night.

Sounds like a great lunch and happy birthday to your boy.

For butts I usually go for 250 also, but since I put the brisket on, I kept it lower. Its at 140 also, taking longer than I expected tho. It got a bit cooler last night than I thought. Ive got it at 250 now to push em thru. I crawled back into bed at 6 am and my wife said, "You smell like a big smoky pork butt." Must not have been a bad thing.
icon_wink.gif

I really need one of those thermometers.

It was, I think, Bill Hayes' or Bryan S's extolling the virtues of the Nu-temp that got me to get one of those. It's great. The link is here.

Sometimes you gotta' foil those briskets and butts and finish 'em in the oven, but they STILL come out great when you do that...!

Well, the meat finally came off at 2 pm.
icon_eek.gif
glad I didnt have firm plans. This was the longest stall in the 150s ive had. 16 hrs for the butt and 14 for the brisket. sheesh. I was afraid of running too hot and the wood not contributing much heat I think extended the cook.

Pics in a while.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Kevin, How fast are you driving when you type?
icon_biggrin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hiway speeds, actually-
icon_eek.gif
I can type with my right hand without lookin at the keyboard (barely)
but I don't when anyone is near me--which means a sentence can take a loooong time if there's traffic.

Brent-- the cooks sounds good. And the taste test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back