First overnight cook...... help!

Dan Shakesby

TVWBB Member
Well, I am in process of my first overnight cook.
I peprared an 8.5 lb Pork Butt and put it on at 11 PM last night. I got the temp stabilzed at about 230-235 by 1:30 PM.
Goy up this morning at 6 AM to find the meat temp at 159 and the WSM still steady at 235.
I just opened the cooker at 8 and turned the meat over and basted with the apple vinegar solution.
Is it normal for the meat temp to already be at that temp? after just 9 hours!
I used the Brinkman water pan and just topped it off when turning the meat.
I also noticed quite a bit of smoke between the cover and the middle section seal. Is this normal or do I have a leak? The vents are at about 10-20% open.

That's pretty normal for temps.

As far as the smoke coming out of the middle, if your smoker is new or fairly new, it's likely to ooze some. In my case, the smoke diminished some after many uses.

Your temps are holding fine, so I doubt there is an air leak. Sounds like everything is going well.

You'll reach one or two temp plateaus where the temp won't rise and may even drop a degree or two. And temps may stay there for several hours.

Be patient, my last butts took 19 hours. It's a slow process but well worth it.

Thanks for the feedback,
I was just getting nervous at how quickly the temps came up after just 9 hours. Ambient outside air was about 60 degrees.
I'll keep posted on how things turn out.

It'll slowly creep forward. You are at 12-13 hours now, right?

You probably have another 4-6 hours to go. You can speed it up if you are pressed for time by foiling it (but I wouldn't if time permits).

When it's done, let it rest for an hour or two in a dry cooler wrapped in foil and covered with towels.

I usually pull my butts when temps get to the low 190's.

The results of your patience will be spectacular.

Yes it was just over 13 hours.
The meat temp hit a plateau at 160 and then just started climbing after a 3 hour stall.
When you say foil, do i foil and keep it in the WSM until it gets to temp? and maybe increase the WSM temp as well?
BTW: really appreciate this board and the help it provides. You are never alone when trying things out for a first a time and you are proof of that support.
Thanks!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Shakesby:...
When you say foil, do i foil and keep it in the WSM until it gets to temp? and maybe increase the WSM temp as well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Let it stay on the WSM till it reaches its final, cooked temp. Most people choose somewhere in the 190 to 195 range. Then remove, wrap in HD foil and place in an empty cooler with towel surrounding it in the cooler. You can hold it like that for 5 to 6 hours safely. Remove and then begin pulling. Add some of your rub to the pulled pork as you're doing it so that seasoning gets to the inner part of the meat. I try to chop my bark some and intersperse it throughout the pulled pork.

ENJOY

Paul

Well SUCCESS!
My first Pork Butt cook was great.
Pulled off the WSM after 19 Hours at 188 degrees and rested for an hour wrapped in foil as suggested by all.
Someone will have to teach me how to attach pics in future!!

Thanks for the support Craig....... it will be the first of many Pulled Pork Q's for me! The family just loved the taste and I an now a hero at least for one meal! LOL
The next cook will be next weekend, weather permitting with my new toy from BBQ Guru!

Back