First overnight brisket cook

Craig Jones

All,
I would appreciate some help here. Believe it or not, I haven't done a brisket in years.
I just did my first overnight brisket cook, and personally, I think the bark looks a bit burnt.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would like some feedback.

I'll try to give you as much info as I think you'll need.
I followed the recipe on Weber's Art Cooking with Live Fire cookbook, with the exception that I injected the brisket.

Brisket 9.6 lbs.
Injected and rubbed, put back in the fridge for 3 hours.
Lit up the 22" WSM using the minion method with 3 chunks of wood on top (no more wood added later).
Filled up the water with hot tap water.
Put the brisket on cold with the fat cap down. Adjusted the vents to 50%.
As the smoker approached 230 (lid temp), I closed the vents to 25%.
Smoker never went over 250...check the heat twice during the night.
Right at the 12 hour mark the brisket hit 190. I then took the brisket and wrapped in foil and placed in a towel lined cooler for 3 hours.

Thanks in advance

Craig

262338_1957517175577_1172180213_31807878_1236907_n.jpg

That could be a result of sugar in the rub perhaps Craig? Anyhow, the bark appears a bit dark but what really matters is what was inside. How was the meat once cut? If everything else came out well, I wouldn't worry too much about that bark. If however it was difficult to cut, dry, or not done I'd probably check the temp closer to the grate instead of the lid next time. That being said, I only measure temp in my WSM at the lid.

Thanks John.
An interesting point is that I used the Turbinado sugar so that it wouldn't burn...

I'm still a bit baffled. Perhaps next time I'll foil it when the meat hits 175 or so.

Jeff, there was paprika in the rub....good to know about that.

As far as the wood, I used three fist sized chunks...all three put on the fire at the beginning. No more was added later. However, when I would "stir the fire", to knock the ash off, some of the wood that wasn't completely used would start burning again.

Craig,I think the brisket looks great!!!. When you cut that baby and the color of the outside meets that nice red smokering. That's what makes it look fantastic.Unless ,of course, the bark added a bitter taste to the meat.If it didn't you dun good ,my friend. I do High Heat briskets . Would kill for an outside like that on mine.

Thanks for the help, everyone. A couple of questions I didn't answer.

Taste: Loved the taste - and I didn't notice a bitterness from the bark.
Tenderness: Not contest perfect, but close.
Dry: Not dry

Maybe I'll try it again this weekend with the foil and see what happens. Thanks again for the postings.

Back