First mock pastrami cook done (with pics)

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
Ive been posting about corned beef and put on a 5lb flat with Chris' rub. I soaked it for an hour before putting on the rub and onto the smoker. Having lost patience I pulled the flat off after 7 hours and at a temp of 160. Having wrapped it and put it in a cooler for two hours I just had a sandwich...Oh man...I will never go to a restaraunt again. This is great, albeit a bit salty ( I will soak for 2-3 hours next time).

I had this with a Sierra Nevada ESB. A perfect combination.

http://community.webshots.com/album/562793216SZBQXa?vhost=community

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Babek:
Ive been posting about corned beef and put on a 5lb flat with Chris' rub. I soaked it for an hour before putting on the rub and onto the smoker. Having lost patience I pulled the flat off after 7 hours and at a temp of 160. Having wrapped it and put it in a cooler for two hours I just had a sandwich...Oh man...I will never go to a restaraunt again. This is great, albeit a bit salty ( I will soak for 2-3 hours next time).

I had this with a Sierra Nevada ESB. A perfect combination.

The last pic is of the household mooch and my bbq'ing buddy.

http://community.webshots.com/album/562793216SZBQXa?vhost=community </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,

That looks fantastic!
icon_smile.gif
Think I need to try another one of those. The last I did didn't turn out anywhere as nice as that. I cooked to 180+ if I remember and mine was a bit salty too.

Joe D.

Nice job! I just did one of these last weekend it turned out great, but a little salty too. Loved the picture of your dog thrown in!

I'm doing my first pastrami tonight - started out with a 3 lb corned beef brisket, rubbed with Chris's rub, and it's been on the cooker since 5. Sitting at 161 right now, and I'm planning on pulling at 170-ish. I hope mine turns out looking even half as good as yours!

Keri C

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">( I will soak for 2-3 hours next time). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Try that, changing the water twice. Then, trim off a small piece of meat and fry it in a little oil or just nuke it. Taste it for salt. If too salty still, soak longer.

That's a great tip about cutting a piece off Kevin. I did one last year that was very salty. This year I'm going to soak at least two hours and change the water.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Do you foil at all during the cook? Sliced left overs freeze well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ray, no foil. I see no reason why you couldn't freeze it. Slice it and vac it up, your good to go.
icon_smile.gif

I did one yesterday after the corned beef and cabbage was done. Made a sammie tonight, not salty (soaked mine for about 16 hrs) and tasted great. I used oak for the smoke wood and took to a internal temp of 160.

Giant Grocery here in PA still has the corned beefs on sale. Points are $1.49 lb and the flats are $1.99 lb. I just came home with 3 flats. More is in the works after the Maple Bacon belly gets smoked today. The Mock I did on Sunday is almost gone. I like this stuff. Next one is getting some Chimayo Hot in the rub.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back