First HH Brisket

ChrisPM

TVWBB Fan
I want to thank everyone for all the great info on HH briskets on the WSM. I cooked two 8lb flats yesterday on my 22" and they took 5 hours total. I was nervous the entire time!! At two hours I pulled out the temp probes, foiled, put back on at 350 lid temp and started checking for probe tenderness at 90 minutes then every 30 minutes after that. At 4.5 hours they were almost done and I took them out of the foil and put them back on to firm up the bark. I then refoiled and put in a cooler for a trip to a Packer-Viking game party. 2 hours later they were gone as fast as I could slice them and were the best briskets I have ever made! (sorry, no pic's, too nervous to even think about it at the time!)

Wow, that is interesting. Is there another thread when you do into more detail on the cook? For instance, were you cooking at 350 the entire time?

its the only way i do my briskets. though to me hh is 275-350. i don't foil, just let 'er rip. then check for softness after 195 int temp and rest for about 1/2 hour and eat !

I love HH brisket. I find it to be the easiest thing to actually make on my WSM. I have started foiling though due to the thinner edges getting too tough by the time the middle is tender. I made one last Saturday and it didn't last past Monday for left overs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Mosher:
Sounds Good Chris. Would you try HH for a competition? And did you inject? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I need a few more HH cooks under my belt before cooking it in a comp, but I am leaning that way! No injection this time. May have to try a double cook again and inject one of them to see if it is better than the other.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Mosher:
Sounds Good Chris. Would you try HH for a competition? And did you inject? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul, don't mean to butt in here, but, I have cooked HH brisket at comps for the past 2 seasons. I do inject and have no regrets.

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack Straw:
May I ask what your injection recipe is Mark? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use Kosmos brisket injection, mixed with water, Minors beef base and Minors auju base.
I dilute the Kosmos more that the package instuctions per Kosmos recommendation.

Mark

Back