first go at mr brown

TonyB

TVWBB Member
bought a couple 7lb "bone in" butts last night, got 'em trimmed and ready to go... put the rub on 'em this morn before i left for work and stuffed 'em in the fridge... at this point I'm committed... i love that... two mr. brown's goin in for the smoke around 10-12 oclock this evening for dinner tomorrow night... gonna have my wife and dad (he's up visiting from AL and is a BBQ snob, though he doesn't do his own, this butt smoke i've been talkin about has him thinkin about the WSM also) looking after 'em during the morning tomorrow after i leave for work... at the moment i'm plannin on about a 225° cooking session on the WSM in the ballpark of about 12-14 hours... gonna smoke with oak, hickory and apple chunks...

hopin this turns out good as i'm tryin to kinda "show off" for my dad... wasn't planning on doin this until the friday night but he's leaving before then so i gotta do it ASAP...

this is my first time doin Mr Brown, any suggestions from the peanut gallery???? what temp should i pull it off the grill and wrap in foil???

Are you talking lid temp or grate temp? I cook my butts at 240 lid temp, and they generally go around 18+ hours. Most of the butts I have done have been in the 7-8 lb range.

I have also taken to increasing the temp to around 250 in the AM to speed things up a bit.

I know others have had butts done in the 12-14 hour range. But, I can count on 18 hours for my cooks.

i use a standard dial thermometer stuffed thru the hole on the top vent... probe is about 4-5" long...

So,that gives a 225 lid temp, which translates to about 210-215 at the grate. I would probably up the cooking temp to the 240-250 range. The added heat will shorten the cook time. From my experience, it has also produced a more moist end product. From what I've seen, the longer cooks are lower temps can dry out the meat a bit.

Warn your dad of "plateau" while you are at work. I did my first Mr. Brown and did expect for my internal temps to level off at certain points. Mine leveled at 170 and I panicked. Later, with information from the folks on the board, I found out that this was to be expected.
And like Dennis said, don't be surprised if you have to longer than expected. Just make sure you hit at least 190 on your internal temp.
Good luck!

Don't rely on cooking times alone. When I first started I didnt' have a thermo and would go on cooking times, and turned out some rather tough meat at first.

190 internal will produce a butt that is easy to pull apart and will fall right off the bone.

Smoke till the bone realeases from the meat and you can pull it out with no troubles.

we've got a digital probe, it got yanked at about 11am (approx 12hr smoke)... internal temps hit 190, it is now wrapped in foil and sitting in t a cooler waiting for my arrival... i'll get my first taste of mr brown in about 45 minutes... dad said the outside layer he pulled a taste from was a bit dry, but i've been told wrapping it and such will help... is that wrong???

The outer pieces are going to be a little dry. They've been absorbing the heat for over 12 hours. Wrapping does help, but so does pulling and mixing everything together.

How did your Dad like the pulled pork? What sides did you have to go with it?

meat turned out almost dripping wet... though done very well... mr brown wasn't nearly as spicy as the recipe made it sound like it would be... i think the rub needs to be intensified a bit but overall it turned out great... it pulled apart so easy it was ridiculous and putting the temp probe into it was like sticking it into pudding it was so soft.... he's going to be ordering his WSM Monday when he gets home... he was very impressed...

Back