First Full packer Brisket **photos added**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
I trimmed up a packer and its weighing in at 12 pounds. Am going to slather with yellow mustard and then with the yum yum seasoning.

I just wanted to double check the smoke wood and times. Im putting it on tonight at 9 pm so Im figuring 12-18 hour cook. I put in 5 medium size chunks of hickory, burying two pieces into the unlit charcoal. Is this going to be enough smoke or should I plan on putting in a piece or two later into the cook. How do you guys do it?

I also left on a bit more fat then I probably should have. Id rather cut the fat off a moist piece of brisket than have a shoe.

Here's the link to the pics
http://community.webshots.com/user/jbabek

5 chunks is def enough for me!!!! thats plenty i usaully put in about three.....if this is your first run less is best....you can always eat a mild tasting brikset....but if you over do it.....OY VAY......
the times sound good...good luck

Jim
That is more at the start than I would use for a whole cook. Once the smoke is on if it's too much you can't take it off.
Try cooking fat side down, foil once it fits 190º internal. Place in a dry cooler fat side up, try to get at least 2 hour (4 is better) in the cooler before cutting.
Jim

Sounds good! I think 5 medium will be just fine. Don't bury 'em too deep, tho. At some point the smoke stops getting absorbed very readily (or so they say).

Hi Jim,

I followed Jim Minion's advice (twice now). Never got around to foiling second time but both times it was so tender and moist it nearly fell apart when I took it off the rack. Mine took about an hour and a quarter per lb and I pulled them at 200.

'Fraid I can't help out with how much hickory but last time I used 3 chunks apple and 3 chunks cherry. Since they're milder woods this is in line with what those above suggested. Must have been good since on the last cook a full 10 lber was gone in 15 minutes.

Well the brisket came out excellent. Everything very tender and very juicy. We ate like pigs, gave a bit to some friends, froze some and shredded some with homefries and eggs this morning.

Took Jim's advice and cooked with the fat side down and it worked very well. Still not sure why this works or for what purpose it serves but it works. Brisket is now a piece of cake. Of course I took pics and will post tomorrow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Took Jim's advice and cooked with the fat side down and it worked very well. Still not sure why this works or for what purpose it serves but it works. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,
It keeps the bottom from drying out since the heat is rising directly to the bottom of the brisket. Creates a "barrier" from the heat, between the fat and the meat. Glad to hear it turned out. The brisket and homefries sounds delicious!! Gotta try it sometime!

Jerry
No need to put anything on top of the brisket cooking fat side down, at 190 internal I foil and place in dry cooler fat side up, the puddled juices will soften up any crust, that may have formed during the cook, while resting in the cooler.
The reason for the technique is to get consistent results, I have found this to be the best over and over again.

Jim

Jim,

That Fab B stuff sound interesting. One question...Do you just inject or do you also place the brisket in the marinade after injecting??

Thanks Al

Al
I just inject, I do use fruit juice in place of water. It really increases moisture and beef flavor.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back