First Ever Cook On WSM Tonight, any sugestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denny Kyser

I am going to smoke a couple butts tonight one 7, one 6 lb. I have never uses a WSM so unsure how much Charcoal to use. I will be using a Large water pan from a previous smoker.

I plan on eating tomorrow at Noon so thinking about starting the cook tonight around 1:00 am to leave plenty of time. The Temps will be at 32 at 1am and cooling off to 22 by noon.

Any sugestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Since it is your first cook and it is going to be cold tonight I would give yourself some additional time. I did my first few cooks over the summer and it sometimes took me over 14 hours. Remember you can keep them wrapped in foil, in towels and in a cooler for a couple of hours before you pull them and they will stay warm.

Also, if you plan to start cooking at a certain time, remember to get started about an hour early getting everything ready. Take the butts out of the fridge at least 30 minutes (not too long though or you get into food safety issues) before putting them on the WSM. This will help get you up to temp quicker.

Denny,

Just follow the instructions Chris has posted in the Cooking Section. Here is a good example.

Have everything you are going to need ready ahead of time.

When you make adjustments to the WSM, make small adjustments and give them time to take effect.

If you use the Minion Method (which I strongly recommend) control the temperatures on the way up. What I mean by this is once your temps get to 180 or so, begin to close down the lower vents a bit. It is more difficult to bring temps down than it is to get them up.

Most of all, relax and enjoy the experience. The WSM and Pork Butts were made for each other and both are very forgiving.

Good Luck.

Denny
Put the butts on closer to 9 to 10pm if you want to eat at noon the next day.
Fill the firering full aprox 10 to 11 pounds of Kingsford, if using lump still need to fill very full. Use Minion Method for fire up.
Cook at 225 to 250 pit temp, you are looking for 195 internal temp on the butts.
If they finish early you can wrap in foil and place in a dry cooler to hold hot until your ready to eat.
Keep asking question lots of folks will be willing to help.
Jim

Denny, I always get the butts on around 10pm. Usually they finish around 1pm-2pm depending on the butt, then off to the dry cooler wrapped in HD foil and towels. They will keep hot for 3hrs plus!!
icon_smile.gif

Make sure you DON'T skimp on the fuel!!!! The cold weather will use more fuel than the hot weather will!

At those temps try to put the cooker so it gets no wind. If it was me I'd start the cook alot earlyer around 7. Get as much charcoal as you can in and mounded up on the ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back