First Ever Attempt at Chow Mein

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
Really craving Chow Mein and never made it, so I had to change that. While most the cooking went on inside, I re-used the leftover Jealous Devil charcoal from last night dinner to grill up a few chicken thighs for tonight's meal.
IMG_20220130_175428680.jpg
Dipped them in the homemade teriyaki sauce and let them finish out on the indirect side.
IMG_20220130_175750865.jpg

IMG_20220130_175759953.jpg

Resting.
IMG_20220130_180211679.jpg

Chow Mein topped with grill chicken and veggies with homemade teriyaki on the backside. My new knives come today, showing one off there in the background.
IMG_20220130_180617229.jpg

It was a really good first attempt at Chow Mein. The family really likes it. I will make some changes and try again soon. This was my second cook using Jelous Devil and while Jealous Devil XL is expensive, I only need the charcoal left over from last night cook to make tonight's dinner so that help justify the cost somewhat, right...

Really craving Chow Mein and never made it, so I had to change that. While most the cooking went on inside, I re-used the leftover Jealous Devil charcoal from last night dinner to grill up a few chicken thighs for tonight's meal.
View attachment 44532
Dipped them in the homemade teriyaki sauce and let them finish out on the indirect side.
View attachment 44533

View attachment 44534

Resting.
View attachment 44535

Chow Mein topped with grill chicken and veggies with homemade teriyaki on the backside. My new knives come today, showing one off there in the background.
View attachment 44536

It was a really good first attempt at Chow Mein. The family really likes it. I will make some changes and try again soon. This was my second cook using Jelous Devil and while Jealous Devil XL is expensive, I only need the charcoal left over from last night cook to make tonight's dinner so that help justify the cost somewhat, right...
That looks delicious! What kind of noodles did you use?

Michael, I’m taking a small leap here but since using JDXL, my fuel run rate is lower than when using KPro briqs.

I need to do a more dialed in measurement but I’m fairly confident that I use less fuel using JDXL than just using briqs.

Case in point, go read TVWBB’s most recent newsletter where Chris does a briqs comparison.

The big issue is that all the briqs produce a boatload of ash. So you’re basically buying unusable fuel in your price per Lund number, thereby increasing the cost of the burnable fuel.

JDXL produces near zero ash, meaning you’re not paying for fillers. For my cook tonight I added 8 new small sized JD pieces to a 60% full of pre-burned fuel.

Bottom line, I am thinking my overall cost per cook is lower with JD than it was with KPro or other briqs.

I reuse a lot of fuel each cook. Unlike KPro which mostly disintegrated when trying to reuse.

Back