First cook

RémiB

Smoker.jpg

My 22.5" WSM took its maiden voyage today. I was only planning on burning it in, but decided to get some sausage and chicken and do an actual cook. I tossed in some cherry and pecan before throwing the meats on.

Grilling.jpg ChickenAndQuarters.jpg

Because I was burning it in and running it pretty hot before I decided to cook, I ran out of coals before the chicken quarters and some of the legs made it to temp, so I just finished them off in the oven. Next cook I won't be burning it in and I should have more than enough coal for a longer cook, especially if I use the minion method. Burnt Royal Oak lump today but next time I'll use some Weber briquettes (while they're still around).

20200618_202034.jpg

Anyway, it was a really good first experience and certainly more flavourful than the Bradley electric I used to use. Looking forward to the next cook... maybe pork belly next.

Sausage.jpg

You know, as much as I like sausages I’m ashamed to admit I have not done any on the WSM! I must rectify that soon.
I just remember as a kid that one of the first things my dad smoked on his electric bullet smoker was sausage. Even when it wound up overcooked, it was still super tasty. It's cheap and so easy to throw them on with anything else you're cooking.

Back